Part 2; Inequity - 13. Under The Night Sky

After wandering around the woods aimlessly for hours upon hours, the sun finally started setting, turning the sky bright orange and casting eerie shadows around the trees that moved in the corner of my eye. Tia and I still walked a few steps behind the boys, and Tia had her arms crossed over her chest in frustration. She elbowed me softly.

“See what I mean about a crappy bit of paper and a hunk of metal with a spinning pin?” She asked through gritted teeth. I wasn’t sure if the gritted teeth were a result of the boys’ lack of navigational skills, or the spring air dropping cool.

I sighed. “I see what you mean.” I said grudgingly. “Trust them to get us lost. I mean, we could’ve helped, but nooooo, they needed to be men and get us there themselves, didn’t they?”

“We would’ve probably been there like three hours ago if we were reading the map. Or at least, if you were. You can read old things so easily, yet it fries my brain. Just like, go and beat them up or something to get the map and save us.” She practically begged.

“I can read old books. Maps, on the other hand…” I shook my head. “Do you reckon we’d be able to connect to the interface out here? Maybe get in touch with the closest HANA System and get it to give us directions?”

Tia sighed. “I tried when they told us we were lost. No use. We don’t even have internet connection out here, and the Scientists hooked the internet up to everywhere decades ago.”

My eyes travelled over our surroundings, taking in the trees that were covered in moss that was creeping up from the floor, and the sun hardly glinting through the tree trunks. Soon it was going to be dark, and I didn’t really want to think of what came out in these woods in the dark. “St Elizabeth’s are actually trying to get us killed.” I grumbled.

“Wouldn’t surprise me.” She smirked. “I’m pretty sure the teachers are the collective embodiment of Satan.”

I laughed. “We need to talk to the boys.” I said softly. “The sun’s almost set – it’ll be pitch black within the hour, we need to find somewhere to camp for the night.”

“I hate to agree with you, but I agree with you.” She said, her face dropping. “It’s freezing out here, and there’s bugs, and there’s probably bears, and honestly I don’t want to think about what else could come and murder us out here while we sleep.”

I bumped her shoulder. “An outlawed cannibal?” I joked.

She gave me a defiant look that soon morphed into a smile. “Shut up.”

“Come on.” I said, grabbing her hand and carefully dragging her forward and around all the obstacles the woods provided between us and the boys. When we reached them, I tapped Oliver on the shoulder, and he almost jumped out of his skin.

Jesus, Sera! Make some noise or something next time, would you?” He asked.

“We need to stop.” I said sternly.

A panicked look crossed his face, his blue eyes searching mine. “Why? What’s wrong?”

I rolled my eyes. “Nothing’s wrong, silly. I’m fine, Tia’s fine. But the sun’s almost set. It’ll be dark soon. We need to stop for the night.”

“No, no, no, no, no, no, trust me Sera I’ll find the campsite. Give me a couple more hours.” He insisted.

“Oliver. It’ll be pitch black in the hour.”

He sighed. “Sera, just let me—”

“Fine.” I snapped, and stopped walking. Hesitantly, I sat on the mossy ground as Tia and the boys turned and looked at me in confusion. “You can go find the campsite in the dark. I’m staying right here because I’m not completely insane.”