Chapter 28 : Second Chance

I hold Bruno's hand in mine, and I never want to let go, his heart-rate was perfectly normal and even though he's in an induced coma, I know he's okay, mentally anyway.

"Um, excuse me?"

"Yes miss?"

"How long until you can wake him up?"

"It's difficult to tell, you see, Mr Hernandez suffered a fracture in his skull. He is very fortunate to be alive! You see, the bone could've easily cut his brain. But it didn't. We repaired his skull but it's needs time to heal naturally."

"Okay..."

"Don't worry, he's fine. He'll be abit groggy when he's awake but probably a number of weeks."

"WEEKS?!"

"Yes, i'm sorry. Remember that I said he's lucky to be alive. You must understand that his skull was damaged rather severly. Waking him up earlier may only result in further complications."

"I do, understand that."

"Good, don't worry sweetheart, he'll be okay"

"Weeks in a coma..."

"It's for his benefit"

"I suppose"

I take one last look at the man I love in front of me, and kiss his head once more and I return to my room. My bag was recovered from the room in a drawer, my phone safetly inside it, fortunately it was fine. I logged onto Twitter and reassured everyone that we were okay.

"Thank you for all the love and support you have given @BrunoMars and I, we are recovering slowly, if anyone has any information on how that fire started please, contact a police station. Thanks guys! Love you all! <3"

I sent the tweet and within seconds it had hundreds of retweets and well wishes to us both. I rang my parents and they came straight to the hospital, they knew we were here but weren't allowed through, now that I'm stable, they could come and see me. As soon as I saw them I started crying, again. I needed them right now. The gang came to see me as well, and then Hollie and her boyfriend. Why was everyone turning up at once?

"Hope! We saw you on the news babe! Are you okay?"

"Hollie!"

I run out of the bed and over to her, I've known her since we were months old! I needed one of her hugs, I cry into her shoulder. The guys all sit in my room.

"How's Brunz?"

"Guys... I've got to tell you something."

" . . . "

"Bruno's... Ugh. Bruno has fractured his skull, severly. The doctors have healed it as best they could. But his body needs to heal itself. They have put him in an induced coma."

"WHAT?! For how long?"

"They don't... They... They can't exactly say how long. A number of weeks?!"

"Hope..."

Phil comes over and hugs me as tears regain their control of my eyes. I explained to everyone that no one is allowed to see him except from me, but even I have limits as to how much I can see him. Everyone stays with me for the remainder of the day, and my parents stay with me until the next morning, when they are due to catch their flight back to England. They tell me to ring them if I need to, and I thank them for staying with me. I would be home soon. The doctor was planning on discharging me today as my wounds have healed up surprisingly quickly.

"You're a little fighter Hope"

"I'm doing it for her."

The doctor wishes me well and I get discharged that afternoon. Before I leave, I go to Bruno's room.

"Bruno?"

" . . . "

"Ugh..."

I walk over to him and sit in the chair beside his bed, I hold his hand as I feel closer to him, like he knows we're here, waiting for him to wake up.

"Winter's here. She says 'hello' daddy!"

" . . . "

"Bruno..."

" . . . "

"Bruno please. Please. Wake up. Bruno Wake Up. You need to get up. Bruno."

" . . . "

"Please."

I grip his hand as I cry again, I rest my head by his side and I fall asleep. I wake up hours later, knowing that I should have left the hospital already. I kiss him and leave. I get a taxi back home and as I look towards the house, it seems cold and dark. The dogs are at Ryan's and I feel so alone. I walk inside, I drop my bags at the door and fall to my knees crying.

"Why? Why are you doing this to me?!"

I stand up and wipe my eyes, I walk into the lounge and see the photos around the house, me and Bruno. Us all together with the guys. The day I first met him at my dad's gig when I was 16. I was so naive, thinking the world was full of rainbows and sunshine. It's not. The world is a cold, dark place where people die everyday. People you love, people you care about, people that are taken before their time. I walk upstairs to the bedroom, where it's a desolate place, filled with happy memories, fun memories. When... When he was okay...

*** 6 Weeks Later ***

Six weeks have passed since the blaze. I'm 24 and a half weeks into pregnancy now. Over half way. Bruno's still asleep. It's been difficult going to scans and checkups without him. I've kept every photo and video I can of the ultrasounds, but it's difficult. It's February 2nd. He's been asleep for a month and a half. A month and a half. The doctors have called me in to see him, they might wake him up. I grab my car keys and bag and drive to the hospital. The guys are already there, but they want me to be the first person he sees. I hug them all and push past the press into Bruno's room.

"Okay, Hope, Bruno can be woken up. But you need to do exactly as we say. Alright?"

"Anything!"

"Okay, sit right here, next to him on the bed, and hold his hand normally. Not too tight and not too loose."

"Okay, like this?"

"Perfect. Now, if you feel anything, a finger move or his hand tighten, let us know"

"Alright"

I watch them as they give Bruno a waking drug, after 10 minutes or so I see his fingers begin to move.

"He's moving!"

"Okay that's good, now make sure he can see you when he wakes up okay? It'll calm him down and give him a familiar sight."

"Gotcha."

I feel Bruno recognise my hand with his own, and he tightens his grip. I hear him murmur.

"Bruno? Bruno sweetie can you hear me?"

"Hmmm... Hope?"

"I'm here sweetie, We're all here!"

"It looks like you've been given a second chance Mr Hernandez!"

"Honey you're in the hospital. There was an accident at the hotel."

"Accident? Hotel..."

"Yeah... Don't think about it though."

" . . . "

"Bruno?"

"Jess..."

"What?!"

"Jessica... At the hotel... She... She was there... She wanted Winter!"