Chapter 16

— – - A Week Later - – —

"What do you want to watch?" Raven asks, as we lazily lounge on the living room couch and stuff our faces with chips and popcorn.

"Pretty Little Liars."

"We watch that all of the time!" She exclaims.

"Because it's good all of the time." I say before eating a handful of popcorn.

"We need something new in our lives."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, but I'm picking a movie." Raven decides. She gets up from the couch and walks over to our entertainment stand, where in one of the compartments was our large collection of various movie DVDs.

It was early Saturday afternoon and the two of us had a sleepover last night. Raven had to leave in about an hour because apparently Justin wanted to take her out to a movie and later I was doing a practice session with my piano instructor. Lucky Raven. I'm happy that things between her and Justin are picking up and that things are going great, I just wish I was doing the same as her.

Saturdays used to be the one day of the week where more than likely I was with Will. We were both free on this day, which meant we either hung out or spent all night on the phone. It has been such a habit to talk to Will all of the time so it's hard to not pick up the phone and talk to him. So many times I've wanted to forgive him. So many times I just wanted him to hold me and promise me that everything would be okay.

But unfortunately, life doesn't work that way. I can't and I won't forgive him. He won't ever hold me again and I cannot continue to think that way. Detaching myself from that mindset was extremely painful because it was hard to let go of someone I've dated for almost two years, but I was slowly getting used to the idea of not having him around. Whenever I thought about what he did, I was instantly turned off and felt revolted by his actions.

"Hey, you okay?" I see that Raven is sitting down again and looking me in the eyes.

"Oh," I huff and look down at the bowl of popcorn. "Yeah, everything's fine."

"You know I don't believe you, right?" She crosses her legs in a pretzel-like style. "I know when something's wrong with you, Zuri."

"Raven, it's fine. Really." I try to convince her, yet I'm avoiding her eye contact.

"I know you're still not over him."

I sigh at her words, knowing they're true.

"And I also know that it's completely normal. You can't get over someone you've been with for almost two years in a week. That's not how love works."

"I just...I mean I know heartbreak hurts, but I never expected it to linger for so long with me." I tell her.

"We all don't want it to linger, but it does."

I frown at her words even though I know they're true.

"But it does go away with time. I promise you everything will be okay." She smiles sincerely at me and places her hand on my thigh.

"Thank you."

"You've been so different lately. I want my old Zuri back." She laughs softly before making a pouty face that I smile at.

"I'm working on it," I promise her and myself. "And besides, you were in a funk for weeks after you and Jeremy broke up."

"I was..." She inhales and I watch as her eyes look up at the ceiling as she reminisces. "But you're stronger than me."