Chapter 34

There was the distinct smell of kennel. Wet, musky.

Some of the dogs barked at us, others were just eating the meals they just had been served.

I kept my voice low as Zoe was taking pictures. "I don't know much about dogs, but these are the ones usually kept for guarding or hunting?"

She carried on photographing intensely. "Guarding, others hunting. Completely different mindsets, we have bred dogs for those two jobs. Yes, these are what you would expect to have in these areas. I guess they fetch a good price too."

"And this one, is a poodle. Nothing to do with the rest, totally domestic," I said, sounding like Sherlock Holmes to my self. "Perfect for a little girl's pet. Could this be the one from the neighbour's house?"

"Could be," said Zoe and walked around the cages. A Rottweiler was making noises, trying to get its big snout through the cage gaps. He had knocked over his plate and his food was on the floor. Zoe picked up his metal plate, looked around, found the bags with the dry food and filled it up. She petted the dog and put the plate in the slot where he could reach it. "There there, little cutie," she said to it with the tone of voice reserved for wittle pets.

"It's not that small," I said. "It almost weighs as much as you."

"It's only months old. Rottweilers grow up fast." She turned back to petting his big head while he crunched slobberingly his food. "Good doggie. Ugh! Wish I could take you home, but I can't afford it. You'll eat more than me in six months."

I looked around at the cages. "Zoe, what is this?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Not to me!"

"The doc has a little side business selling pedigree dogs. These are all prime specimens in this area, they are worth a lot. And farmers can never have enough dogs. We'll need to doublecheck but I think he declared the poodle euthanized and took it in."

"Why would he do that?"

"Cause he has the system in place! I don't think he planned it, it's not like a poodle is a rare breed or anything. But since he has a place to keep them," Zoe pointed at a few empty cages, "people to buy them etcetera, it was like a small bonus."

I began looking out the windows worried someone might catch us.

"I don't think he's coming back for now," she said.

"Yeah, we are still breaking and entering."

"So?"

Zoe petted her new furry friend and we left.