chapter 9

livingdifferent-Red made the banner 

“I’m waiting for you to apologize to me.”

Nolan bit his bottom lip and took a deep breath. My eyes were locked on his hands which were balled into tight fists. I took a deep breath that I didn’t realize I was holding. My hands fiddled with the hem of the shirt I was wearing.

Did he not want to apologize to me anymore? Why would he have a reason to be mad at me? I have all the reason to be mad at him and I’m the one giving him a chance to apologize and he refuses to?

He took another deep breath which seemed to calm him down. Nolan unclenched his fists and I took that as a good sign. His emotions seemed to be all over the place. They could change in an instant. I was going to have to choose my words carefully and proceed with caution so nobody got hurt.

“I’m sorry for attempting to kill you Alyssa. I lost control and I wish I could’ve stopped myself. Honestly I don’t know what came over me.”

I stood up from my chair. “I will accept your apology. What you did is completely unacceptable and because of that I don’t want to be around you anymore. Please leave my house.”

“I’m not leaving Alyssa until you genuinely accept my apology.”

“Genuinely accept it? What do you want me to say? I said I accepted it and I politely asked you leave. Please do so before I decide to change my mind. Don’t make me force you leave. I don’t want to do that. And for the record I can accept and deny your apology. It’s my decision to make, not yours. Now leave or else I’ll go straight to the elders and tell them everything.  You know what will happen.”

He would be exiled. It wasn’t what I wanted but if he kept pushing me my anger would get the best of me and that’s what I would do. As soon as I that I wished that I could’ve taken it back. Shock crossed Nolan’s face then rejection and pain. He ground his teeth together and his nostrils flared.

What did I do? I never meant to hurt him or threaten him. I just wanted him to leave the house! It wasn’t my intention to anger him in any way or blackmail him! What do I do to fix this?

The only thing that I thought I could do was beg for forgiveness until he accepted my apology. It was the first thing that came to mind and groveling wasn’t exactly how I should handle the situation but nothing else came to mind.

“Nolan I’m sorry for saying that. I had no right to use that against you. Please stay and I will try to make it up to you. I accept your apology. Please accept mine!”

I kept rambling things until Nolan decided to say something. He sat in the chair expressionless as he probably was drowning out what I was telling him.

“I will forgive you Alyssa. Just do me a favor and never speak to me again.”

I was speechless as Nolan slammed the front door on his way out. I pinched the bridge of my nose. All I wanted was him to leave the house and have him leave me alone. It looked like being left alone wasn’t the issue. The issue was that I might’ve made enemy.

“Trevor what did I do? I’ve ruined everything!”

“Alyssa you did nothing wrong.” He placed his hands on my shoulders. “You have every right to kick him out.”

“I don’t have the right to threaten him!”

Trevor shrugged his shoulders. “You’re still upset with him. He did try to kill you. Give him some time and he’ll forgive you. He just needs time to cool off. He’s got a temper if you haven’t noticed.”