chapter 3

I woke up early and started my chores. I had to do the dishes, wash the floors, and make breakfast for my family. Technically making breakfast wasn't part of my chores but I decided to take it upon myself to do it anyways since I was already up.

It was a little after seven in the morning when the chores were done and I was placing the last or the bacon on the table beside all the chocolate chip pancakes and cheesy scrambled eggs. When my parents and brother came down the smell of coffee and bacon filled the kitchen.

My dad smiled at me. "Wow Alyssa this all looks great. Might have to make sure that you do the cooking around me more often."

My mother gasped. "Hey now, you better watch it," she teased her husband.

He sent me a wink. "Just kidding kiddo but it does smell and look wonderful."

"Thanks dad."

Adam was already chomping down on the food. Obviously he wasn't going to wait until we were all seated.

I sat down at the table beside my brother and pored myself a glass of orange juice before helping myself to the food.

"How do you like it?" I asked Adam.

He turned to me with a mouthful of scrambled eggs. Adam gave me two thumbs up.

"Gotcha."

Without a word he went back to devouring his breakfast. I began to chow down myself and engaged in some small time with my parents.

*****************************************

I decided to go hiking to clear my mind. I walked to the same area that Luke and I talked at. I noticed a cliff off to the side and climbed it with ease. As I was walking along the tip of the cliff I saw Luke pacing back and forth down below. I studied him as he paced. He looked cat-like. Well he is a shifter, I reminded myself. I stepped on a twig and it snapped. Way to reveal yourself. He looked up and saw me.

"Alyssa, what are you doing up there?"

I examined for the best place to land before jumping off the rocks. I landed on my two feet, almost like a cat. Well, it seems like my instincts are becoming more shifter like. WAIT! That must be a good thing.

"I was just doing some self assessment you could say." I sighed. "I had a lot to think about."

I saw Luke fidget. he bit his lip nervously. "Can we talk about yesterday?"

I knew this moment was going to come. I had to face this conversation and deal with whatever the consequences might be.

"Um, sure. Can we walk while we talk?"

Luke nodded. We wandered towards the river. I played with my hands behind my back and avoided making eye contact with him.

"We need to talk about the kiss yesterday," Luke blurted out.

"I made a mistake yesterday by kissing you and I apologize. "I should've walked away before I did such a stupid thing. The thing is I have liked you since I was ten..."

I saw his jaw drop then snap it shut. "Wow, I don't know what to say."

I just stood there. Ready to feel like an idiot because I told him how I felt.

"I have actually liked you too. I just wasn't sure how to tell you."

Did he just say what I think he said?

Luke took deliberate steps towards me and kissed me. His lips were soft and warm as the molded against mine. My arms instinctively wrapped around his neck bringing us closer together. We parted our lips and I felt his hot breath. There was a growl that interrupted our kiss. I turned and saw two shifters from our enemy pride. Luke's piercing blue eyes narrowed. The two shifters had olive skin and cropped jet black hair. One of them had gray eyes and the other shifter had warm light brown eyes that resembled honey.