Chapter Eight

"From this day on, you shall be known as Rainheart and Greyclaw." The clan cheered the names. Sagestar watched proudly as Rainheart and Greyclaw ducked their heads in happiness. Sagestar looked amoung the new cats. Turtlepaw, who was given Dewcloud as a mentor. Creampaw, who became Salmonleaf's apprentice. Bramblepaw, who was given Silvermist, and Doeheart who was given Mudpaw. Sagestar jumped down, and one of the new warriors that had joined the clan padded up to her. Her name was Mossyfur, for her pelt was light grey and very fluffy.

"This clan is very exciting! Thank you for letting me join!" She mewed happily before bounding off to join her patrol. Thunderkit padded up beside her and settled down, watching the clan silently. Foxkit raced over to Turtlepaw, and playfully tackled him. Sagestar noticed Greyclaw nuzzle Owlpaw happily. "Wont be long before they are mates." Sagestar heard Meadowcloud chuckle to Tigerfur, who nodded with a purr. Sagestar smiled, letting out a yawn. She called for Foxkit and then slipped into her den to rest.

----

"Sagestar! Sagestar!" Sagestar was jolted awake. She in a daze looked up, seeing Rainheart above her. "Stoneclan is attacking!" She screeched. Thunderkit and Foxkit jolted up, and so did Sagestar. "Stay here with the kits!" She demanded. Rainheart nodded, and Foxkit squealed. "I can take on Stoneclan!" She was quickly quieted by Rainheart. Sagestar raced into the clearing, and she was given a horrible sight. The clearing had exploded with fighting. Sagestar let out a screech and pounced on a cat who was attacking Owlpaw. She bit into the tom's belly, clawing at his soft spots. The brown tom let out a screech and wiggled away before racing out of the clearing.

"All apprentices stay close to your mentors!" She yowled. She then noticed Stonestar, attacking Silvermist. Sagestar screeched in rage and barreled into the tom. "Why did you attack my clan! Out of all cats I never thought you would do this!" Stonestar snarled, slashing at Sagestar's muzzle. Sagestar looked at him with wide eyes, and then she noticed maddness there. She was suddely shoved off him, and she let out a screech of pain as his feet pushed on her belly. She was sent tumbling on the ground. She felt her leg twist, and she let out a wail. "Help!" She squealed. She suddenly felt claws on her throat, but her eyes were misty with blood.

Suddenly everything went dark. She then awake in Starclan. She was looking around with wide eyes. "My clan! My clan!" She wailed, whimpering. Roaring Tiger padded out of nowhere, looking at her with sad eyes. "I never thought my son would go insane with power...but after the death of Heatherpaw near the Sageclan borders, he blamed your warriors...he didn't even notice the fox scent...he was in such sad rage..." Roaring Tiger shook his head. "He won't stop..if you do not kill him...so many cats will die." Sagestar looked around, her eyes wide as she saw the bodies of clan mates. "No." She whispered, slightly wailing. "I can only heal your leg, but you must be the one to kill him." Roaring Tiger gently put his head on her shoulder, and she could suddenly move it again. "I'm sorry.." He mewed gently before fading away.

Suddenly she was back in the clearing. She staggered up, and noticed Stonestar was standing over the body of Creampaw, who was whimpering in pain and fear. Sagestar suddenly pounce, letting out a screech. She felt like her world suddenly stopped. She sliced as hard as she could into Stonestar's neck. The next thing she knew, the clearing was silent, and Stonestar laid dead. She panted heavily before tumbling down, lost of breath.

---

Sagestar slowly opened her eyes, she was in the Medicine Cat den. Thunderkit and Foxkit was beside her, and as she opened her eyes Foxkit scrambled over and got Salmonleaf to come over. As the she-cat padded over, she noticed Salmonleaf had a scar going from her face to her shoulder. Her left eye had been blinded. "You look like a mess." Sagestar rasped, chuckling before coughing in pain. "You should see yourself, you look like you became a chewtoy for a dog." Salmonleaf chuckled, but her voice hinted such saddness and pain that it made Sagestar whince. "How is everyone?" She asked, not daring to sit up. "At least everyone but the kits were hurt." Salmonleaf muttered, her playfulness gone. "The cats who got it worse were Creampaw, Nightbranch, you, me, Rainheart, Snowheart, and Owlpaw." Salmonleaf nodded to the cats who were all laying in nests close to Sagestar. Sagestar shook her head sadly. "This didn't need to happen, but Stonestar grew powermad after he found his kit Heatherpaw dead near our borders."

Salmonleaf blinked in shock. "What?" She mewed, her eyes wide. Sagestar went on. "I saw Roaring Tiger, and he explained why the battle happened. We can only hope Stoneclan's new leader will be better." She slowly got up, her body feeling weak. "You should rest Sagestar.." Salmonleaf mewed, but the russet and ginger she-cat raised her tail to silence her. "I'm going to check on my clan, then I will rest in my den." She limped out of the den, and Foxkit and Thunderkit were beside her. Sagestar watched as cats were slowly fixing nests, glancing over to Sagestar as she limped to her den. Silvermist rushed over, his eyes wide, but Sagestar ignored him. She limped inside her den and into her nest. Foxkit and Thunderkit curled up beside her, and soon they all fell into an uneasy sleep.