Chapter 91 The Bodysnatchers

I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me.

All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.

-Jackie Robinson

Emma

"You mean you knew there were Seekers investigating disappearances and you still kidnapped a Soul?!" I glare at Will incredulously.

"Hey, don't blame that all on me!" Will casts back, "we had to know if he was telling the truth! We could have dissected your boyfriend instead!"

I launch myself at him, but I'm caught by Blake. "Let him talk, squirky," he says, but he's glaring at Will too. "You could have endangered us all."

"Enough," Nate interferes, "we've been over that. That's not what we're here to discus." He looks at Milo and gives him a nod.

"Russell told us," Milo says, "with their last raid, they heard rumors. It seems that several people have been abducted over the past few weeks, all around our areas. Seekers have been running wild, searching."

Next to me, Burns pales. I press his hand. "Several... people?" I ask.

"It wasn't us," Will growls, "and Russell says it wasn't them either. It's been a while since we spoke to Gail or Max."

Milo clears his throat. "They might be looking for you too."

"Rain," I whisper.

"What? You wanna talk about the weather now?" Will growls.

I ignore him and look at Burns. "We've been here for weeks. Sky would normally talk to Rain on the phone every day. And Ocean and Core will wonder where you are. If they contact Reads the Stars and Yellow Leaves then they'll know we left Toledo ages ago. They know we made plans to visit Rain and Storm. And if we never arrived there..." I want to hit myself. I should have thought of this sooner. I've been so concerned with Burns never being able to see his friends again that I haven't even considered how they would feel.

"Great," Will spits, "so now we'll have Seekers on our tail."

"We've always had Seekers hunting us, Will," Blake say, "that is nothing new."

"No, but before they were looking for humans in general, with no specific location in mind. Thanks to these two misfits here, they can narrow their search." Will glares at us. "Great job, thank you."

"We need to call them," I say, ignoring Will's comments.

"Like hell you will!" Will yells.

"Shut up Will," Logan now interferes, "there's no point in arguing. We need to think of a solution." He looks at Burns and me. "We can't let you call them. We don't have any phones or computers here, because they will trace the call and find us. And we can't let him out. I'm sorry Emma. I'll admit he's a decent guy, but we can't take that risk. He is still one of them."

"He would never betray you," I say.

"Can't you send a postcard?" Nate asks, "the guys can take it on their next raid and drop it at a post office."

I look at him. "That will never work," I try to explain. It's true that they could have dropped it anywhere, they don't use stamps anymore since no one pays for services, but that is not the reason. I sigh. "Sky wouldn't just send a postcard and not call. That would be insensitive. Souls aren't like that. If she were able to send a postcard, she'd have the opportunity to use a phone. She would call."

"I'm assuming Sky is the name of that creature that had your body?" Nate inquires.

I nod.

"Then just write you lost your phone and are unable to call."