Chapter 30 The Sensitive

Second star to the right,
and then straight ahead ‘til morning.

            - Peter Pan

Sky

“Are you sure this is what you want?” Rain bites her lip as she eyes me concerned, but I’ve made up my mind.
Patt has a partner. And as much as I love Rain and Storm, I don’t want to stay here. I have a new goal. I’m going to look for that mystery boy from Emma’s memory. Yellow Leaves was right. I should have done that in the first place. And maybe it will help me to finally ease into this body. It still makes me feel uncomfortable on occasion. I still feel like it’s rejecting me.
I know Storm has offered to examine me again, but I’m afraid to talk to him about it. Afraid of what might be wrong.

“I’ve heard it happens sometimes, that something of the host lingers.”

A shiver runs down my spine. Perhaps if I find this boy, these feelings will stop.

“Sky?”
“I’m sure,” I answer, “I want to find him. I want to know who he was.”
“I know you’re upset about Carmen, but you don’t have to leave so soon. You’ve only just arrived. How long will you be gone? How about your Calling? What if you don’t find him? You don’t even know his name. How do you know where to start looking?”
“We crossed the road that leads to him,” I say, “the other night when I was with… when we were out. I’ll start there. And I’ve sent Reads the Stars a message. He’ll call the restaurant to explain and he’ll open my mail for me.” I smile at her. “Don’t worry Rain. I’ll call you. And when I find him, we’ll come visit you together, okay?”
Rain sighs. “I hope you find him Sky, I truly do. It would be easier if you knew his name.”
“I know,” I admit, “but I’m hoping when I trace the road back, it will trigger something. And I’ll ask around. Besides, it will be nice to see new places, meet new friends. I haven’t really seen much of the planet up ‘til now.”

I close my bag and sling it over my shoulder. I have to take the bus out of town and there will be a car waiting for me at the truck stop. Emma has a license, so I should be alright.
Storm gave me a road map so I can navigate. He knows why I’m doing this. He understands.
“I’ll stay in motels along the way. It will be like a road trip,” I say.
“It is a road trip,” Rain notes, but she smiles and hugs me. “take care of yourself. And call me every day.”
“I will,” I promise, “say goodbye to Storm for me.”  He had been called to the Healing Center earlier.
“I will,” Rain says, “what do I tell Patt?”
“Tell him the truth,” I say, “that I’m going to find Emma’s friend. If I find out anything about Emma from him, then I’ll give Patt a call.”
“I’ll miss you.”
“I’ll miss you too, but we’ll see each other soon.” I hug her again and walk out the door.
I’m a little nervous, but I’m excited too. I love adventure. And who knows? Maybe if I find him, I find Emma’s parents too. Or Ashley. I miss her.
It’s a strange feeling, missing someone you’ve never even met. I only have Emma’s memories of her and I wonder what it will be like to meet her.

The bus stop is close to Rain’s house and I sit down on the bench underneath the timetable. I hope the weather stays up. It will make it easier to recognize the landscape.
I don’t have to wait long for the bus to arrive and after smiling at the driver, I sit down at the window. There are only a handful of Souls in the bus. This isn’t a busy town.

I stare at the scenery and wonder what it will be like to meet that ginger haired boy. There’s a strange tingle in my stomach. Will he like me?
I lean my head back. I didn’t expect it to hurt so much, seeing Patt with someone else. I know what jealousy is, but I didn’t think it could make someone so sad.

The third stop is mine and I thank the driver as I jump onto the pavement.
The truck stop is easy to find and I walk inside.

The man behind the counter spots me and grins. “Can I help you?”
“I’m Sky,” I say while approaching, “I called yesterday. You had a car for me?”
“Yes of course. Hello Sky. I’m Charlie. It’s waiting for you right outside. Please follow.” He guides me back where I came from to the parking lot. A silver car is parked against the sidewalk. I don’t know much about brands and neither does Emma, but it looks suitable enough for a long journey.
“Thank you so much Charlie,” I smile.
“You’re welcome,” Charlie grins, “it’s completely tanked up, so you don’t have to stop any time soon.”
I nod. “Thank you,” I say again. Every time I meet a Soul that kept their human name, I want to ask about what Reads the Stars said about the lingering of a host. Is that why they hold on to their human names? Or are they born here?
But I never ask. I’m afraid of the answer.
“Good luck Sky,” Charlie says as he hands me the keys. He winks at me and walks back inside.
I turn to the car. I’m feeling excited now. This is going to work, I just know it.
It’s been a while since Emma last drove, but she still knows how to do it. I turn the key and take a deep breath. I want to be well on my way before night fall.
I’m going to the river bend first. That’s the last of Emma’s memories. Perhaps it will trigger some more.
It’s not easy to leave everything behind. I’m nervous. I don’t really like being alone. I wish I could have taken Rain with me, but she has Storm and a Calling to fulfill.
Even Patt would have been nice company now, but he is the reason I’m doing this in the first place. Because he has Carmen.
And I don’t have anyone.

I swallow difficulty. It’s not like me to be so bitter.
To get my mind off things, I turn on the radio. An interview is airing. They have a guest from the Mist Planet. Her description of the planet is very interesting. It’s a dangerous planet, but I like adventure. I might have gone there if it wasn’t for the cold.

Before long, I reach the river bend and I park the car in the grass a little off the road. I sit in the car for a while, just staring at the water. This is where Emma’s life ended and mine began. It’s a strange feeling.

I can still go back. Just turn the car around. Go back to Rain’s house and forget about this journey. I might not even find him. It’s like trying to find Emma’s parents. The only lead I have is a vague memory.

Or I could go back to Toledo. See that Comforter I never made an appointment with. Go out and meet new people.
Or I could follow this road and see if by any chance I get to find him.
Who knows?
Maybe he can even tell me where to find Emma’s other friends.
At least I think that ginger haired bout is her friend.
“No Sky,”  I mumble to myself, “no backing down now. You always say you like adventure.”  I take a deep breath. I know why I’m having doubts. I don’t want to be disappointed again. What if he has a partner already? What if he doesn’t remember Emma?
But I know that if I don’t find out, I’ll wonder for the rest of this lifespan.
I grit my teeth and give a determined nod.
I will at least try.

My hand turns the key and I drive off.