Chapter 28 The Fifth Wheel

Silence is the most powerful scream

 - unknown source

Sky

I’ve called Rain from the airport to tell her I was coming. Part of me is glad to go back, Toledo may be Emma’s home, this is mine.
I patiently wait in line until my suitcase rolls by on the conveyor belt and make my way towards the exit.
A familiar face greets me the moment I step into arrivals. It’s just not the face I had expected.
Patt grins at me cheekily. “Hello Dragon girl. Long time no see.”
I squeal in delight and run up to him where I’m enveloped by two strong arms. “Patt! What a surprise!”
Patt chuckles. “Rain said you were coming and asked for me to pick you up.”
Good old Rain. I smile. “It’s good to see you. I’ve missed you.”
“Yeah I reckoned from the way you greeted me.”
A blush spreads across my face. Have I been too forward? I study his face, the masculine structure of his cheekbones, his grey eyes and short dark hair. He is handsome.
I shake my head. All that talk about taking a partner has confused me.
“What is it?” Patt asks while taking my bag from me.
“Nothing,” I hurry to say and I make for the parking lot.

Patt chuckles softly as he follows me.
I smile. It’s good to be home.

Rain rushes out to meet us the moment Patt parks in the driveway. She hugs me tightly and then holds me at distance. “You don’t look sick to me.”
“What she means to say is ‘welcome Sky. It’s good to see you.’” Storm says behind her.
Rain gives a sheepish smile. “Of course. Sorry Sky. I’ve missed you. I was just concerned. You sounded worried on the phone.”  She smiles at Patt who took my bag from the trunk of his car. “Hello Patt. Thanks for picking up Sky.” There’s a conspiring look in her eyes.
“It was my pleasure,” Patt answers and I feel a blush coming up again. And a knot tightens in my stomach. ‘No. Not again.’
“Maybe you should join us for dinner tonight,” Rain says, “you can catch up.”
“That’s very kind of you,” Patt says, “I’d love to.”
“That’s settled then,” Rain says, “I’ll put up an extra plate.”
Patt turns to me with a smile, but drops it when he sees my face. “are you alright Sky?”
“Yeah,” I say after my stomach has settled again, “probably just jetlag.”
“Okay,” Patt nods and he places a hand on my shoulder.
I flinch.
I can’t help it. I didn’t mean to, but I can see the hurt expression on his face and I feel terrible about it. I don’t want to upset him. He’s one of my closest friends. And he might become more.
Without warning, that mysterious boy pops in my head again. There’s no pain this time, but I feel something else. I feel like crying. “I’m sorry,” I say, “I’m tired. I haven’t been sleeping well lately.”
“Perhaps I should go home then,” Patt says, “we can catch up tomorrow. I’ll let you get some rest and maybe you can have Storm take a look at you. We wouldn’t want you to fall ill.”
“No please stay. I’ve missed you. I promise I’ll have Storm check me up after dinner.”
“Alright,” Patt smiles, “if it makes you happy I’ll stay.”

***

“We haven’t seen much of you, Patt, since Sky moved to Toledo,” Rain teases.
Patt smiles apologetic. “I know. We’ve been patrolling a lot lately.”
“Patrolling?” Storm asks confused, “what for? There haven’t been any lawbreakers since we took over Earth.”
“It’s probably nothing,” Patt assures us, “some Souls have reported strange events, like their door being open when they remember having closed it before leaving. Food missing from the kitchen cabinets. Those things are easily misplaced though. But our Calling demands for us to look into these matters. I wouldn’t worry.”
Rain sighs relieved and I nod.
“So tell us, Sky, how are things in Toledo? Have you found a Calling yet?”
Patt turns to me curiously after Storm’s question.
“No,” I say, “not yet. I wanted to dance, but Emma wasn’t really good at it. I do want to perform though.”
“How about acting?” Patt asks.
My eyes grow wide and I smile. “Really?  You think I could? I haven’t really thought about it, but I think I’d like it.”  I will sure try it out. I don’t know why I haven’t thought about it myself. “Thank you.”
“You’re welcome,” Patt smiles.
Rain glances at us amused and starts to clean up the table.
“Let me help you,” I offer, but Rain waves it away. “Don’t be silly, Sky. You are our guest. Besides, you’re supposed to go with Storm. I heard you promise it.”
Storm nods in agreement. “Yes Sky. Your health is very important. Please come with me.”
I glance at Patt. I don’t want to say goodbye yet. It’s been so long since we last met.
“Let Storm look at you,” he says, “the sooner he knows if you are ill, the sooner you can get better. You need to take good care of yourself.”
I nod and smile. “Yes, you are right. I just don’t want to say goodbye yet. Will I see you again tomorrow or do you have to patrol again?”
“I’ll be off the clock in the evening,” he says, “I can pick you up and we can go somewhere. I want you to meet someone.”
“Who?” I ask curiously. It’s always nice to meet new people. I like making new friends.
Patt chuckles. “No, it’s a surprise.”
“That’s not fair,” I pout, but it only makes him laugh harder.
“Now you have something to look forward to,” Patt says.
I sigh. “Okay, I’ll wait.”