Chapter 14

• Dedicated to Taylor

Last Chapter!

______________________________

Chapter XIV

    Day by day flew by and I still had not seen a single sign of Amari or Jason, I was starting to become nervous that something really bad had happened to them when a bang came at my door. I stood up and waited for the guard to open it, grab me by the arm and drag me to breakfast as he did every day. I sat down in my plastic chair, studying the speckled table when someone cleared there throat. I looked up just in time to see Jason being walked into the room by a guard. He sat down at a table feet away from me and started to stare at his table too. I kept my eyes on Jason as he looked at the table, I couldn’t believe he was really only feet away from me. His face scrunched up in pain as he moved to rest his hand on the table, he finally looked at me. He looked considerably skinnier and his eyes looked like hollow coal, but when he looked at me he smile.

    For a second I sat there is shock, why was he smiling at me? We could be stuck in this torture facility forever, that was nothing to smile about. Jason opened his mouth about to say something to me, but shut it just as quickly when my guard came back with my food. I looked down at the table again, acting as if I hadn’t even noticed Jason was in the room. I ate slowly trying to catch Jason’s attention out of the corner of my eye. Suddenly Jason looked up at his guard and spoke, his voice sounded raw and strained.

    “So Henry, when’s that new girl coming?”

    “Today,” He curtly replied.

    “Today? Really? You sure its the right girl you got? The one I told you about.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jason smile in my direction. He was playing with the guard.

    “Yes Jason, we’ve done this before remember.” Suddenly the guards cold eyes were on me, I quickly looked down at my food.

    “So you guys going to drug her, to get her down here?” Jason asked.

The guard laughed. “Why would we? You told us she was nearly harmless. We just have to test her and stuff.”

    “Oh, okay,” Jason said, drawing out the okay.

I looked back at Jason eyeing him, he was acting strange. Jason looked at me and pointed to the guard. He mouthed ‘Escape.’

I stared at him awhile, trying to figure out if this was all really happening. ‘What escape?’ I mouthed.

He smiled, ‘the girl’

‘When?’ I asked, then took a bite of my food so it wasn’t so obvious that I was talking to Jason.

‘Tonight’

    “Lets go Jason, your taking forever to eat.”

Jason quickly finished his food, the guard walked him out of the room. Right before he turned the corner he winked at me. Suddenly I could feel a new hope growing inside of me. The guard took me back to my room and with the click of the lock was gone. For the first time in a long time, I genuinely smiled as I walked to my cot. This was my last night here, by tonight I would be out of here.

    I was in the middle of a pretty dreamless sleep when loud talking echoed into my room. I woke up and looked around, scanning the familiar four brick walls nothing was out of the ordinary, except for the loud noise coming from the outside of my room. The place was never this loud, there must be quite a crowd to welcome this new girl. Excitement rose through me again as I thought of escaping. It felt like hours went by as I sat on my cot listening to the muttered voices of the people outside. All at once everything got real silent, I stood up and pressed my ear against the door to hear what was happening.

    I flew back when the door opened, Jason stood in the door frame smiling at me. He reached out his hand towards me.

    “Come on Aba, lets leave.”

I smiled back at him and grabbed his hand, Amari was waiting at the end of the hallway next to a short girl in jeans and a t-shirt. I stopped in my tracts when I noticed all the bodies that were out cold on the floor.

    “What happened?” I gasped.

The short girl smiled and causally stuck her hands in her back pockets. “It was nothing,” she said.

I looked at Jason for help as to what had happened, “This is Juliet, my cousin.”

My eyes immediately went from Juliet to Jason. “Oh,” was all I could say.

    “Come on guys, lets get out of here,” Amari said. “No use waiting around in this dump.”

    “Amari your alive!” I ran to him, giving him the biggest hug I could. He laughed his eyes sparkled a deep amber.

    “I missed you too Aba.”

Thats when I finally noticed the light that was streaming in from outside, one of the doors was open and the fresh air rushed in. I gasped again, this was finally it we were getting out of this place.

    “Come on you guys!” Juliet yelled, she was already halfway across the green clearing out side the building.

    “Were coming!” I yelled, as giddy and happily as a two year old who just got a new toy. I raced towards the door ignoring the bodies of all the guards and doctors and ran with all my might towards the grass, Jason and Amari laughed behind me as they raced me out the door. Outside the air felt crisp and clean, I tumbled in the grass just to feel its spiky texture. Amari and Jason jumped on top of me squishing against the grass. When they finally got off we were all laughing and smiling when suddenly it dawned on me.

    “What now?” I asked.

    “Now we walk and try to find some civilization,” Jason said.

    “Well what are we waiting for, lets go!” I yelled with enthusiasm.

                    * * * * *

    We walked for miles and miles, my feet started to blister but the thrill of finally being out of that dreadful building never died down. It had started to rain, we all laughed and enjoyed the feeling of the cool water running down our backs.

    “Hey guys, theres something up here,” Juliet yelled.

We ran to join her, she stood next to a small sign that read something in German. Since none of us knew what if meant we continued to walk down the path until we reached a small farmer’s market. Cart after cart of the reddest looking apples and tomatoes, the orangest carrots and the greenest veggies. I looked at Amari as our stomaches grumbled in unison.

    “I’m starving, lets find something to eat,” he said. Amari pulled me to cart after cart, until we both stopped at a small little stand with apples on them.

    “I have some money, let me find it,” Juliet started searching her pockets for money.

I picked up one of the yellow apples and inspected it, my stomach started to grumble even more.

    “Oh you must buy those apples, there the best ones here,” an older lady said as she stood next to me. She immediately started putting apples into a bag of hers. She was shorter than me, her face was covered by her rain coat she kept her head down as if she didn’t want me to see her.

    “Do you come here often?” I asked.

    “I’m always here, I can’t resist these apples. I especially like there yellowish- orangish hue, don’t you?” The lady looked up at me and smiled. Such a warm, gentle smile. I could finally see all of her face now. She looked young for already graying, curly hair, but the part of her that really showed her youth was also the most captivating part of her, her twinkling eyes.

    “Well it was nice meeting you,” she said, while paying for her apples.

    She walked away, with a slight limp. I continued to stare after her as she walked away, it was as if she had put some type of spell on me. Later I would dream about that day, the way she talked to me about the apples. From then on I thought of her constantly and her beautiful Amber eyes, they were so enticing like little pools of gold.