Chapter 13

Chapter XIII

    Pressing my head against the cold metal door, I sighed as I stared at the keys. There was too many in different shapes, sizes and colors. I swear I had tried all of them, even some of them twice. Maybe because my hand had been shaking and my fingers started to cramp, I had gotten some of them confused. I just couldn’t focus. The erie silence that surrounded me was too much to bare along with the growing knot in my stomach, I could almost feel the terror in the air of something soon to come.

    I closed my eyes trying to get my thoughts to stop pounding at my skull. For that moment everything seemed calm, as if the whole world had stopped in its rotation and was now holding its breath for the moment to come. In that moment I could feel something rising inside of me, something big starting from the soles of my feet and jumping from bone to bone, slowly making its way to my head. It was a wave of fear.

    “Aba,” a voice whispered in my ear.

    I was up and alert in an instant, jumping from my slouched form to standing ramrod straight. It took me awhile to realize that my whole body was shaking out of control.  I swallowed my fear and tried my best to control my shaking hands. In my panic attack I had kicked the flashlight that was now rolling away from me down the hallway. Leaving me in total blackness. Something was resting on my shoulder, but I was too afraid to move. The object started to curl around my shoulder getting a strong grip on me.

    “Aba, calm down its me,” the voice came again. This time I could make out the faint line of someone standing next to me, there hand on my shoulder. And thats when I couldn’t hold it in anymore. The wave of fear had rose to my head, consuming me in one effortless sweep.

    “Aba,” the voice came again.

That is when I screamed.

The grip on my shoulder was released, I watched breathlessly as they walked down the hall and picked something off the ground.

    “Aba what the heck were you thinking? It’s just me.”

I squinted as the light of the flashlight blinded me, “Jason?”

    “Yes, me Jason. I’m back with Amari.” He flashed the light on the limp body that was laying next to my feet.

    “Is he dead?” I asked. His breathing seemed even more labored then when I had left him.

    “No, he’s fine.” I heard Jason sigh. It was such a quiet sigh however in the silence it traveled and echoed down the hallway.

    “You find the key?”

His voice seemed tired and wary, like he had already given up.

    “No, I tried though.”

Jason soundlessly pushed past me and knelt on the floor shoving key after key into the lock. The silence stretched around us, I could almost feel the anxiety and anger coming off of him in waves.

    “I’m sorry for screaming,” I barely whispered. “You scared me.”

I waited for Jason’s response, even a simple ‘okay’ would have made me feel better. But he continued to shove keys into the lock at such a fast pace.

    “Can I help with something, I feel kind of stupid just standing here.”

    “It was kind of stupid to scream like that don’t you think? The guards are coming, we have to get out of here!”

I was taken aback, I hadn’t mean’t to scream. It was his fault, what kind of person just walks up to the other in the middle of an escape and doesn’t expect that kind of reaction. Instead of getting into a fight with Jason I grabbed the flashlight and shined it on the lock.