Chapter 2

Chapter II

    Bright lights, so bright my eyes couldn’t bare, I squeezed my eyes shut as the man with his arms wrapped tightly around me carried me to a table. He set me down, but with my constant flow of tears I missed this chance to run. I was tired, exhausted, from screaming and crying for my mother, but I wouldn’t stop not until I got to see her again. My eyes stung, and my hands burned from being shoved back into my tiny, itchy gloves. The man pushed me down, his hand rough and sweaty; he strapped my arms and legs down with thick black leather straps.

    “She won’t stop screaming,” he yelled, to another man standing behind a wall of glass in a black suit. “It’s killing my ears.”

The man in the black suit looked at me, he had piercing gray eyes, his mouth curved downwards in a disapproving line.

    “Why did this happen?” he yelled. “Her signs reappeared, when she was with her mother, she is not yet safe. We must run more tests.”

    “She didn’t hurt her mom when she touched her though,” the man holding me down yelled.

    The man behind the glass glowered at him, “That doesn’t matter, what if that had been someone else! We have to run more tests.”

    “Now?” The man next to me asked, he put his sweaty hand to his forehead as if he had a headache. “I can’t work in this noise.”

     “Fine, leave her alone for awhile, but I want those tests up and ready by tomorrow.”  I cried and screamed even louder they couldn’t do this to me, I wanted my mother. 

    “Shush you little brat, you can’t be with you mother.”

    The man staggered away, still holding his hand to his head. I was glad he had a headache; he deserved it after, taking me away from my mother. He deserved even more terrible things to happen to him. Suddenly the lights went off and I was left to myself.  The room was dark, and cold, the smell of mildew made me want to vomit. As a three year old, you may think I was afraid of the dark, but I was used to being stuck in a little lifeless room my whole life. This wasn’t any different than the other rooms I had been in.

    I closed my eyes and tried to cry myself to sleep, but thoughts of my mother kept popping into my head. The lights slowly turned on and from my laid down position I wondered who that could be, no one ever visited me. Usually they left me in a room for a whole day only coming once in awhile to feed me, but they had fed me right before I visited my mom, I knew they weren’t going to feed me again that night.

    “Aba,” a soft sweet voice called. It reminded me of my mother; I strained my neck, and struggled against the leather, holding me back. But I couldn’t see the person who had called my name.

    “Aba, baby ssssssshhhhh, keep quiet, it’s me,” the person said. She slowly crept into view and I gasped, struggling even more on my leather bounding. I opened my mouth to scream, but she quickly covered my mouth.

    “Aba…….”