Bittersweet: Chapter Thirty-Four

THIS BOOK IS CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN AND HEAVILY EDITED. NAMES, PLACES, AND SOME SCENES WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. SOME STUFF WILL BE TAKEN OUT AND SOME WILL BE ADDED.

THE INITIAL PLOT STAYS THE SAME.

So, if you begin reading as of 5/21/2021 and choose to read ahead further than I have updated-some things might be confusing or might not make sense. As of right now and will continue, slowly, adding the new chapters as I write them. CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR has been rewritten & updated.

**IF A CHAPTER HAS BEEN REWRITTEN/EDITED THE ^^ABOVE^^ NOTE WILL BE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER.

Chapter Thirty-Four

Eliza

It's October, one of my favorite times of the year.

Over the past few weeks, the temperatures had calmed significantly. It was still warm out, but the warmth was now accompanied by a light breeze that always had a way of calming my body. The green leaves were fading into yellows, oranges, and reds. Everything in the Delta was slowing down. Days at Divers were less busy, and everyone was gearing up for the upcoming football season. Harvest had come and gone in the blink of an eye. Those days were brutal-long, very grueling ones and the nights were equally so. The farming year was officially up and while it was over, the ending only brought along new stresses that we would inevitably work through like we always did.

It's Halloween today.

It's a tradition that Terra and I set up her car at the First Baptist Church's annual Trunk or Treat and give our candy to the little ones of the congregation. But this year was different, and I loved the change. I'd spent the past two months preparing for this night.

One day weeks ago, I'd mindlessly asked Lenora what she'd planned on being for Halloween while on the drive back home from one of her riding lessons. Quietly, she shrugged and brushed me off. When I pressed her for an answer, she told me that she hadn't been trick or treating in two years.

Not only did I remember the grimace on her face, but I couldn't forget her words. "Mama used to take me, and daddy don't have time to fix me up a costume and then take me out nowadays. It ain't a real big deal. If I really wanted to go, I guess I could always go with Aunt Dot and my cousins, but that last time was a shit show. They were all dressed as the Ninja Turtles, and it just so happened that the only extra costume we could find to go along with them was Bebop." She cut her eyes up at me, and her brow raised in question. "You watch the Ninja Turtles?"

"No, not really," I replied, unable to contain the grin on my face.

"Well," She hissed out in a prissy tone as she lifted her arms across her chest. "Bebop is the stupid mutant warthog villain. There was a pig nose with an elastic band and everything! God, it would have been better if I could have at least found a mask that covered my whole face. All of my friends made fun of me for weeks. Weeks, Eliza! I'll never do that again."

I just...Couldn't accept that.

"Well, if you did go, what would you choose to go as?"

Lenora nibbled on her bottom lip for a moment, "You know, I always did beg mama to get me that pretty Dorothy costume from The Wizard of Oz. Oh my gosh! The red sparkly shoes were so pretty. And...And I wanted her to be the Glinda The Good Witch and daddy could have been the Scarecrow. It would have been perfect."

When I looked over at her, sitting in the passenger seat dreamily gazing out the window, my heart fell to the pit of my stomach. I knew her father did the best he could, but I loathed the idea that she always seemed to get the short end of the stick. Silently, I decided right then and there that I would make this the most memorable Halloween for Lenora. As a result, I'd spent the past two months almost obsessed with making this night perfect.