CHAPTER 11

You are so responsive and enthusiastic,’ Benedict smiled, tucking the loose strands of her red hair behind her ear.  Natasha shyly hid her face against the edge of his shoulder.  She heard his soft chuckle and loved the sound.  Her face lifted to gaze into his eyes.  Benedict smiled at her.  Natasha smoothed her palm over his cheek, ‘you are always so serious.  I used to be terrified of you,’ she whispered.

‘You are not terrified anymore?’ he grinned.

‘Not since the first time you kissed me,’ she smiled.

‘Mmm, I must be weakening.  That is not good.  I shall have to bring my whip and stick.’

‘I am not a horse, my lord,’ her emerald eyes became angry.

‘Perhaps it will illicit the desired response,’ he teased.

‘That is not funny,’ she pushed him away and made to wake up.

‘Natasha,’ he laughed.  ‘Do not be cross.  I was just teasing.’

‘Certain --- gentleman of the peer, do treat their servants exactly like they treat their animals,’ she began slipping her garments on again.

‘I would never do that Natasha.  I would never lay my hands on another human being,’ he held her shoulders trying to convince her of that.  She knew he spoke the truth.  All his servants spoke highly of him, her father included.

‘I shall have to get back my lord.  Crystal may be there already.’

‘Okay,’ he murmured, and pressed his lips gently on hers, ‘Natasha I have to go to London tomorrow.  I shall only return in two days.’  He saw the disappointment in her eyes, before she quickly looked away.

‘That is fine my lord, ‘she smiled.  ‘I shall see you when you return.’  The duke was looking healthy.  Natasha wondered how much longer she would be needed.

When Benedict brought Natasha to the cottage, Crystal was already waiting in the shadows, at a nearby tree. 
Oh dear time flies when you are having fun.  I expected to be standing here waiting for Crystal.

‘Why did you take so long?’ Crystal demanded.  ‘I have been here for almost fifteen minutes.’

‘Sorry, all the grooms had left already---.’

‘So who brought you here?’ Crystal demanded.

‘Good evening Miss Crystal?’ Benedict walked to the carriage door to assist Natasha out.

‘My lord, good evening,’ Crystal stammered, ‘I was feeling unwell, and left early.’

‘Indeed?’

‘Thank you my lord, and good night,’ Natasha expected Benedict to hop on his carriage and leave, but he walked to the door, and knocked.

‘My lord, you do not have to come in.  We are fine,’ Natasha’s eyes were more expressive than her tone of voice.  But Benedict just ignored her telling look and knocked again.

‘Lord Benedict, why--- good evening,’ Sophie smiled. ‘I trust the young ladies were well behaved.

‘They had a wonderful evening,’ Benedict spoke on behalf of both ladies, as neither of them showed any intention of lifting their heads.  He allowed his eyes to travel over the room.  He observed the worn out furniture, though the room was spotlessly clean.  He could smell the bees wax polish strong in the air.

‘They look beautiful, do they not?’ Sophie looked adoringly at Crystal.  ‘Natasha was so sweet to lend her pretty dress to Crystal.’

‘Oh, I was under the impression the lovely design was Miss Crystal’s?’  Benedict quickly brought his eyes back to the ladies.