CHAPTER 5

‘Good morning my lord,’ Crystal flashed her milk white pearls at the marquis.  ‘Is it not a beautiful day my lord?’

‘Good morning,’ Benedict, looked at her for as long as a polite greeting allowed and adjusted the bed cloth around the duke.  Crystal was yet to even cast a cursory look at his father, never mind one that even pretended to display any compassion. 

The duke was awake this morning.  Benedict wanted to study how good a task Crystal did in assisting his father with his breakfast.  He shifted out of the way, to allow her to feed him his porridge.  She pulled the chair clumsily, nervously her eye shot to Benedict and returned to her task.  The first spoon of porridge fell on the duke’s night shirt.  It took her three attempts before she managed to get a full spoon into the duke’s mouth.  Finally she had  the bowl empty.  It had taken her so long; the duke was ready for lunch by then. 

‘I shall be back just before supper time,’ Benedict departed.

Crystal was totally devastated that the marquis was going to be away for the entire day.  She only took on this job to attract his attention.  She was sure he liked her just a little.  Why else did he stay so long, whilst she was feeding the duke his porridge?  It was such a boring job feeding the duke and giving him his medication.  Could not one of the servants just feed him his porridge?  There was absolutely nothing to do, but look at the walls of the duke’s chamber, which was decorated in dull mahogany and crème.  It was a good thing she had brought some of her fashion articles, at least with that she could pass the time. 

Thank heavens the pay the duchess had mentioned was handsome.  Crystal had almost gawked at how much they had offered.  She was not expecting half that amount.  She was not going to repeat even to her mother the actual amount she would get.   There were two gowns in Bond Street that she had fallen in love with, and knew she could never afford.  Now she was definitely going to have them both in her possession very soon.  Perhaps she will make a trip to London next week.

Benedict had never met anybody as clumsy as Crystal Grayson.  Could she honestly be related to his rather efficient estate manager Daniel Grayson, or the charming and hard working Natasha Grayson?  No off course not she was no biological relation.  Benedict suspected the scheming Sophie Grayson had manipulated her husband to send Crystal, when h had wanted Natasha there.  Sweet caring Natasha who had begged him not to harm a stray bird.  Benedict wanted to see Natasha today.  He must give her news about her bird.  The thought of seeing her again made him gallop faster, he hoped she would come to the lake today.  It was a beautiful warm day.

‘My lord, finally you have come,’ Natasha ran towards his horse, then hesitated at her supposed impertinence.  ‘How is the bird?’ she demanded, before he could dismount.

‘Hello Miss Grayson,’ he greeted, without offering a smile.

‘Er---good afternoon my lord,’ she looked down.

‘Your bird is doing extremely well,’ he informed her.

‘Really,’ she smiled happily.  ‘So he will fly soon.’

‘Yes.  The wing has healed very nicely.  I think in about a week, he should be brave enough to attempt a flight.’

‘Did you find him some worms?  I can find him some, if you are too busy.’

‘There is an abundance of worms in the vegetable garden. Your bird is enjoying scrumptious meals every day,’ he replied with a grave face.

Natasha would love to see the little blighter, but her father would not approve of her visiting the marquis’  estate.  She would be in so much trouble if he dare found out she was having a conversation with Benedict, let alone the fact that she had ridden on his horse, and that she had enjoyed Benedict’s arm around her waistline.  Just thinking about it made her want to be in his arms.  In fact she longed for it so much that it made her rather bold.