CHAPTER 8

Natasha looked forward to her lunch break each midday, so she could spend it in the cage with Citrus.  Actually, it was too huge to be called a cage.  It was more like an observatory with a fence.  Citrus had so much room to move about.  Yesterday, Natasha had deliberately left the gate opened, to test if Citrus would leave the cage.  Her heart dipped when he hopped to the gate and took a few steps outside and turned to look at her. 

Go on, I know you must leave.  I understand. 

But to her astonishment he skipped in again, and pecked around at the crumbs that had fallen at her feet. 

‘Oh you sweet thing, you must leave soon.  Benedict expects you too,’ she whispered.  She let her thoughts run to him, wondering where he was, what was he doing.  Was he enjoying himself with the Lady Louisa?  The ducal mansion seemed lifeless without Benedict.  Oh the Baroness Sadie was sweet and pleasurable company, and the duchess was also pleasant, but she missed the brooding, unsmiling Benedict, even though she knew she had no right to him, she could not deny she felt an unhealthy and wasted attraction for him, for nothing could come off it.

When Natasha returned to the duke’s bed chamber, he was awake.  ‘Your grace, it’s wonderful to see you awake,’ she smiled.

‘Will you read to me again, Miss Natasha?’ his gentle blue eyes smiled at her, so unlike Benedict’s passionate eyes brown like his mother’s.  ‘I so enjoy hearing your voice my dear.’ 

Natasha had offered to read to him yesterday after lunch and he’d enthusiastically agreed.  He’d been attentive and laughed at the humorous parts, and was disappointed when she’d stopped and asked him to rest.  Natasha had promised to read more today.

‘Your grace, would you like to be seated at the settee for a little while?’ Natasha pointed to the elegant chaise-lounge, besides the French window?  It was overlooking the expanse of the well-manicured ducal gardens, and the window was catching the late afternoon sun.  The duke’s eyes lit up but then he looked at her helplessly.  ‘Oh I will call for two of the footmen to assist,’ she quickly offered.

‘Thank you,’ he nodded.  Natasha pulled on the corded bell, and almost immediately one of the maids entered.  Natasha relayed her request.  The maid smiled and hurried away.  With the duke comfortable on the chaise-lounge, Natasha threw a flannel blanket over his legs, propped his pillows up around his back and continued to read from where she’d stopped the previous day.  When it was time to stop, he’d begged for her to continue, which she reluctantly agreed to.

‘Oh father you are being spoilt,’ Sadie laughed softly, coming into his chamber.

‘Good afternoon baroness,’ Natasha smiled politely.

‘Good afternoon Natasha.  I dare say father is making remarkable progress under your devoted attention,’ she smiled at Natasha.

‘Thank you baroness.’

‘Benedict is going to be most pleased that you’re enjoying your meals as well father.’

Oh Benedict, how many more days before you return?

‘I do feel so much better,’ the duke spoke tiredly.

‘Your grace perhaps the footmen should return you to your bed?’

‘Yes dear,’ he murmured sleepily.  Natasha pulled on the bell again.

Natasha how about we take some tea in the drawing room?’ Sadie offered.

‘Thank you baroness.’

Sadie poured the tea, and studied Natasha curiously.  ‘You are very good with father,’ she smiled.