CHAPTER 3

‘Crystal you’re home!’  Natasha hugged her step sister, who was one year younger than her.  ‘I thought you will only return at the end of the week.’

‘Hello Natasha,’ Crystal smiled self -appreciatingly.  She studied herself in the looking glass, admiring how the satin afternoon dress clung to her tightly corseted breasts.  Crystal was striking like her mamma, Sophie.  She had beautiful long blonde shiny hair, and a very pretty face, expressive eyes and nice cheek bones, unlike Natasha who was just plain.  Crystal was a student at the design academy in London.  She always had to have morning dresses, afternoon dresses and evening gowns on hand just in case an occasion called for it.  Crystal was home now for the summer holiday for six weeks and Natasha would hear all about her escapades tonight, as they shared a bed chamber.

‘You look so beautiful,’ Natasha complimented sincerely.  ‘Did you make that gown?’

‘No darling sister,’ I paid a fortune for it on Bond Street.  Crystal angled her body admiring the way the dress caressed her slim waistline.  Natasha could not understand why Crystal had to spend money on gowns in Bond Street when she was a designer herself.  She could have bought the material and Natasha could have helped her make that at a fraction of the cost.  The style looked simple enough.  Natasha herself could not be bothered with stylish gowns. Whenever she needed a new dress, she just bought the material, and cut her own patterns.  She did not waste money on the expensive materials that Crystal preferred.

‘It’s lovely to have you home again Crystal.’

‘Has anything exciting happened in my absence?’ Crystal asked, turning around again in front of the looking glass.

I met Benedict.

‘No.  Nothing exciting ever happens here in Thor Creek, you know that.’  Natasha was not ready to reveal her secret information about Benedict, just yet.

‘You want to see my exciting gowns?’ Crystal beamed.

‘Do you mind if I see it after supper?  I need to help Cook in the kitchen.’

‘Why do you have to help her? Isn’t that what she gets paid for?  So you don’t have to do it,’ Crystal answered her own question.

‘It’s a bit much for Cook, Crystal, besides I enjoying preparing meals.’

‘You enjoy spring cleaning every day as well,’ Crystal wrinkled her face distastefully, ‘even though there is a servant for that as well.’

Natasha was not going to get into an argument about how many rooms there were in the cottage, and how it was just too much work for one person.  Besides isn’t that why she was not allowed to attend school or go to any fashion school, because she needed to help to cook, clean, sew, be mother to Ben, and manage the purse strings, because her step mother did not understand about managing money.  She just ordered where ever and whenever, irrespective if they had sufficient money for the month or not. She had made it Natasha’s duty to make sure all the bills were paid.

‘Well I’m going to rest for a little while,’ Crystal sighed tiredly.  ‘That was the most uncomfortable four hour journey from London.  I thought that carriage was going to fall apart, it wobbled about so much.’

‘Crystal hello!’ Ben came running into the room.

‘Watch my dress!’ Crystal pushed her hands outwards to stop Ben from throwing his arms around her.

Did you wash your hands Ben?’ Natasha asked softly.

‘Yes,’ he pouted, offended that his step sister just brushed him away like he had leprosy or something.