Chapter 5 "Explanations"

Everything was out of place. Everything. The curtains were ripped to shreds and the mini chandelier was crashed on the floor. The couch cushions were all over the place. The house would go any second, so I had to move fast.

          “Madison?” I yelled. There was a little bark and I scanned the house, shining the flashlight around the room. It happened again. I inched towards a hole in the floor. Below me was a wood pole and beside that pole was a small, yet by the looks of it, muscular Jack Russell Terrier. I had never really owned a dog, but knew they would stay with their owners no matter what.

          Quickly I hopped down and under the pole in the light of my flashlight was girl about 26, and she was unharmed, just unconscious. Lifting the pole I heard a voice.

          “Bethany?” Max called.

          “I’m down here!” I yelled back. In a split second he hopped down into the hole and landed beside me. He saw the girl and his face went white. I pointed to the pole, “It’s too heavy for me.” I implied.

          “Well then will have to lift together, on 3.” He answered. “1.” We both grabbed the end. “2.” I bent my knees like in a cheerleading lift. “3.” Max and I pulled the pole up then switched our hand positioning to push it upward. It crashed against the wall and the terrier ran away, yipping like there was no tomorrow. Max cradled the girl and climbed up through the hole, followed by me.

          He let me crawl out the window first and I ran to the ambulance parked in front of the house. The EMS took one look at my face and hopped out of the ambulance and grabbed a stretcher out of the back and ran towards Max. Madison was limp and lifeless and as Max laid her on the stretcher. The EMS held his ear against her chest to listen for her heart. His worried expression disappeared.

          “Will she be okay?”

          He nodded, “Yes, surprisingly she wasn’t harmed. We won’t have to keep her over night, but right now we must give her a boost.” He made is way over to the ambulance and brought back two metal paddles and rubbed them together.

Like with all doctors he yelled “CLEAR!” There were tiny sparks and Madison shot up her hands in karate form.

“Woah, did anyone ask for my opinion on this?” she said sarcastically. “Where’s my……” Madison was got in mid-sentence as she looked at her house almost about to collapse. “Holy cow. What where’s Tucker?”

“Your dog?” Max asked as Madison nodded, so Max ran back inside the house calling “Tucker!” until he came out 5 minutes later with the buff Jack Russell Terrier. The house fell a little.

“Alright I’m getting off of this thing.” Madison implied. When her feet landed on the ground she fell. Max and I rushed to help her up, by grabbing both of her arms and helping her walk to the truck. She sat down in the back seat, but fumbled with the seat belt. Max started the car and we headed off to the hospital which, luckily, was only 5 minutes away, because I couldn’t take having to wait to see Olivia.

We burst through the emergency door only to find the entire team sitting in the hard chairs starring at the walls or counting the tiles on the floor. No one had worried looks on their faces which was a good sign. Madison sat down next to Jack.

“How is she?” I asked.

“She’s fine. You can go see her, but she’s on loopy gas, because they gave her at least 15 stiches. She’s 2 doors down on the left” Daniella replied as she pointed down the hall. Max and I walked through the wooden door and there was this stench of Clorox wipes and anesthetics. There was a bed with Olivia on it just pointing at the ceiling and laughing. Oh gosh. When we made our way over to her she looked at me and frowned.