Chapter 3 "That One Question"

Tyler and I switched seats and I was riding with Max, and Tyler would be able to ride with Daniella in the “Texas28”, she would thank me later. We drove along the highway and watched the signs pass us by. Soon we made our way to a dusty and bumpy road. The bill board signs had been blacked out and there were tumbleweeds everywhere. The silence of our trip egged on and I finally couldn’t take it anymore.

“Hey Olivia?” there was a scrambling sound on the radio.

          “Yeah?”

          “How did the pictures turn out?”

          “Pretty good actually.” I sighed with relief I thought they had gotten erased to.

          “Thanks.” I put the radio down, curled up and rested my head between my knees. What have we come to? Our first attempt was success and then it got ruined by Aaron. If this was what it was going to be like every time then what was the point in trying.

“Max?”

          “Hmm?” I sighed.

          “What if this happens every time?”

          “What if what happens?”

          “Aaron. Messing with our stuff and all.”

          “Don’t let him get to your head okay?” He squeezed my hand, “This is probably the only time he would do this.” He let go of my hand. I nodded slightly.

          “This going to be a long week.” I mumbled. A couple more minutes in silence and the “Welcome to Atoka” sign appeared. After we had passed the sign we took a back road and passed 3 small town houses, before we came upon my grandmas run down cottage from the 1990s. Like always in the spring time her garden was full of flowers of all sorts, azaleas, iris, sunflowers around back, and my favorite lilies. But someone was with her, she usually just lived with her cat, but this was a man. He was about 2 inches taller than my grandma and he had a head full of brown hair, he stood straight and tall. She cannot be dating.

          “Well if it isn’t the Pottsboro, Texas crew!” my grandma exclaimed. I jumped out and ran to hug my grandma. She kissed me on the cheek. “Bill, this is that granddaughter and her storm crew I was telling you about. Bill and I are work friends and we’ve decided its best for us to have company in our old age so we could look out for each other.”

I nodded, “Oh. Nice to meet you Bill.” I shook his hand. Everyone else said there hellos to my grandma and to Bill.

          “Come to eat and run?” my grandma asked.

          “Yes I am so so sorry.” I apologized.

          “Hey I can use a visit sometimes!”

************

          We were all sitting around the dining table. Each of us had a plate full of meat and meatballs on potatoes, with my grandma’s secret sauce, which I had no idea what it was, but it was good and it wasn’t gravy. As my plate was set down in front of me I tried to dig in as polity as possible, and it wasn’t. I tried but the mash potatoes were chunky and smooth at the same time. A way only my grandma can achieve in potato mashing. Everyone was half way done with their mash potatoes when I asked for seconds.

          “So have any of you boys popped the big question?” Bill asked. There was a silence. We all burst out laughing.

          “Your – you’re kidding me?” Olivia said through a laugh.

          “None of us are dating.” I said after I was over my laughing fit. “There’s just no time for it.” Bill nodded understanding, I guess. Once we were done, Steven led me outside onto the porch.

          “I love Olivia, but do you know if she likes me back?” He implied. I smiled widely.

          “What do you think?” I exclaimed.

          “But how do I tell her.” He asked.

          “The same way you would any girl.”

          “Ummmm I’ve never asked out a girl before.” My jaw dropped as he mentioned this. Wow, I mean what happened at Prom? I really wanted Olivia to have a good relationship, and that all started with a good “Will you go on a date with me.”.

          “Tell you this, tonight you can practice on me, 11:00 p.m. right here.”

          “Thank-you so much!!”    

          We walked back in and Olivia gave me the glare, I smiled. Her glare faded away after I smiled, I hopped she understood what it meant.

          “So what are the sleeping arrangements Grandma Grace?” Daniella asked.

          “Oh…umm…I’ll have you girls up in the guest room, someone will sleep on the floor, then you boys can sleep in the family room, one on each of the three couch and then someone on the floor.”

          We all made our way to our room. I set up the sleeping bag Grandma kept in the closet and laid a big, thick; blanket on the floor, to add extra cushioning, then unrolled the sleeping bag on top of it to. I automatically was going to sleep on the floor so that way I wasn’t going to have to fight with Daniella and Olivia. Also I didn’t want to wake up Olivia later.

          After they got settled I shut the bathroom door and climbed in the shower. The warm water felt so good and relaxing on my skin. I washed my hair and combed it out in the shower. I’ve been combing my hair in the shower ever since I started taking showers. It’s another weird addition to myself. I put on my night gown and my robe and as quietly as possible I tip toed out the door.

          Every now and then the stairs creaked and then I would freeze and when there was no stirring I began to move again. Within a few more seconds I was outside, and Steven was already there.

          “Okay let’s make this quick.” I exclaimed in a whisper. He nodded. “Pretend I’m Olivia, which should be easy with our similar features.” It was true Olivia and I both had dirty-blonde hair, a little more than shoulder length, but I was taller than her. Our faces were pretty similar too. Hers was a circular oval and mine was near a full oval.

          “And action.” I announced as I silently clapped my hands together like the clap board.

          “Hey Olivia.” He walked over to me in a dorky looking walk that always made Olivia crack up. Don’t know why, it just did.

          “Oh, hey Steven.” I said.

          “So I was wondering, maybe today we could take a walk in the woods together, just the two of us.”

          “Cut!” I yelled in a quiet way. “Take her to the movies for petesake. Were probably going to be here for the entire day making sure the wires are fixed.”

          “Fine.” He retorted.

          “Take it from the ‘So I was wondering…’ and Action!” I did the clap board motion.

          He cleared his throat and said, “So I was wondering if you wanted to go see October Baby tomorrow?”

          “Sure I’d love too. What time?” I questioned.

          “11.” I nodded and walked away. When I turned around he was there reciting his “lines” to himself, he really does love her. Again I had to walk up the creaky stairs without waking anyone up. By dumb luck I succeeded at something. Slowly I opened the door and everyone was still asleep. Crawling into my sleeping bag, I fell asleep to the sounds of insects, feeling so happy for Olivia.