Lost In Time (A Hunter Hayes Fan Fiction)

*I'm bookin' myself a one way flight,

I gotta see the color in your eyes,

I'm tellin' myself it's gonna be alright,

Without you baby is a waist of tiiiimmee*

As I'm driving down the busy street, headed to my apartment, I'm jamming out to my favorite artist of all time, Hunter Hayes. I've loved him for who know how long now, but all I know is, the second I listened to his hit song, Wanted, was the day I realized that my best friend had finally made it, and that only made me love him more. I've been in love with him since the first time I laid my eyes on the blonde cutie, but I doubt he loves me back.

I love writing music, just like Hunter, but I could never do what he does. I mean, yeah, he's shy just like me, but I can barely make it through a presentation in front of the class without freaking out and suddenly have the urge to hide under a desk. I pull into the parking lot of the apartments and grab my stuff. This is my first time living on my own. I grab the rest of my luggage from my house and haul it over my shoulder to carry it inside. I enter the lobby to see my roommate, Austin, waiting for me. We're not dating or anything, we're just best friends. I've known him since kindergarten and he knows practically everything about me. We tell each other everything, and by everything, I literally mean everything. I feel bad renting an apartment with him though because I barely have any money so Austin's practically paying the whole rent.

"There you are!" Austin calls as he approaches me, "here, allow me to help you with that."

"Thanks," I say as I hand him the two bags that are cutting off my blood circulation in my right arm.

"I already unpacked all my stuff. The apartment's nice, granted, it's not very big, but we'll make do."

I smile and just make my way down the hallway to where I think the elevators are. I haven't really memorized where everything is quiet yet so I may get lost.

"Um Jessie," Austin laughs, "the elevators are this way over here. You're going the wrong way."

"I knew that," I lie, "I just wanted to make sure that you knew where you were going."

"Uh huh. Sureee," he smiles.

By the time I drag all my stuff over to the elevators, the doors have already opened and Austin is holding them for me.

"Thanks," I mumble as the doors close.

"No prob."

The doors open on the fourth floor, revealing a ginormous hallway filled with doors leading to various apartments. I look for our room, 37D, and when I find it, I use my key to open the door. It swings open, revealing a surprisingly neat apartment. I stroll inside, luggage in hand, and think to myself that this is the beginning of a new chapter. This is the beginning of the rest of my life, and I couldn't be happier about it.

"Where do you want your stuff?" Austin asks as he drags in my bags from the hallway.

"Wherever my room is. Just throw them on my bed. I'll unpack later," I call.

I follow Austin as he leads me to my bedroom in the apartment. It's plain, but with a few decorations that I've made for the room, it should turn out pretty cool. I dart to the closet and gasp when I realize what little space I have.

"This won't fit all my clothes!" I yell.

"Make it fit. I did-"

"That's because you're a guy and guys are pigs. They don't care where their crap goes as long as they can find it when they need it," I snap.

"True....." Austin trails off, causing me to smirk at the thought that I just proved him wrong.....again.

I unzip the suitcase that contains my clothes and I pull some of them out. Before I start hanging them up, I pull out my phone and play Hunter Hayes, my best friend in the whole wide world. It's been so long since I've seen him or heard from him, granted, I hear him like everyday on the news or on the radio but that's besides the point. As I pick my favorite song of his, A Thing About You, I see Austin poke his head into the door, grinning from ear to ear.

"You're obsessed with him!" Austin shakes his head.

"That's because he's my best friend," I tell him.

"That's also because you're in love with him," Austin smirks, suddenly becoming serious.

"I am not," I lie.

"I can tell by the look on your face that you like him-"

"That's because he's an amazing person and singer-"

"You like him more than that, I know you do. C'mon Jessie, don't lie. I can see that you really like him. Don't be afraid to admit your feelings. It's OK if you like him more than a friend. You can tell me if you do I won't judge you."

"I don't like to release my feelings because I know when I do, I know I'll always end up getting hurt in the end," I whisper, suddenly becoming sad.

"I'm sure whoever you find isn't gonna be like that," Austin says comfortingly before exiting my bedroom.

I just hope he's right.......