[Fifteen]

Who knew that a few cakes and cookies could attract so much attention? Especially when there was a bakery that made them fresh just a two minutes walk down the road.

It was mainly the small children that were attracted to the thought of getting a cookie. The parents seemed more attracted to the word 'free' that I had painted onto the signs last night.

Technically, they weren't free. I mean, the cookies and cupcakes were free, but the deal was that they only got them if they spent more than fifteen dollars on items in the store.

I had spent all day yesterday baking, much to the annoyance of Jordan. I just hoped that they lasted me all day. If not, I would just have to run down to the bakery and blow some of Richards money on buying some more.

I hadn't even gotten everything set up yet. I had been at the store for about two hours. Most of that time was spent tidying up the store, and pre-packing the goodies.

The signs were stuck to the window for all of five minutes before everyone started coming over to see what was going on. I could hear the little kids screaming at their parents to get them a cookie. They reminded me of Lucy when she would scream at Richard and Jennifer until she got what she wanted. At that moment, I had the same desire as Jordan to stab them in the eye with a fork.

Coming to the conclusion that the crowd outside would soon lose interest, I decided that it was time for me to open the door and let the starving sharks in.

I barely moved out of the way before everyone started stepping in. Ignoring their protesting parents, the children went straight over to the counter, trying to attack at the boxes of cookies and cakes that I had set up behind it.

As for the parents, well they attacked me. Bombarding me with questions that were worded just right. "How can we get some of those delicious smelling goodies?" They would ask me. What they really wanted to say was, "Give me those damn cookies so my kid will shut up!"

By the time the horde of parents spread out around the store, I was sick to death of explaining the deal and how it works. It was like they couldn't read, because I had signs everywhere that explained it all.

Not even fifteen minutes after they all spread out around the shop, sniffing in the aroma that the cakes and cookies were providing, and telling their kids in a hushed firm tone to be patient, I had a long line of parents who were slowly getting frustrated with their children, and little kids whinging and crying for a cookie. If Jordan had come, he definitely would have regretted it.

His need to stab them in the eye with a fork would have been much greater than mine, and right now, my desire to stab them was increasing each time I heard their squeaky little voices.

The bell above the door jingled again, and I groaned a little inside at the adding of one more annoyed parent and pesky little kid. Instead, though, I was met with the teary-eyed face of Mrs. Simmons.

She looked very tired and worn out, and she practically smelled of the loneliness that was consuming her. Her widened eyes showed me that even the three people that were remaining in the store were a shock. She had gotten so used to seeing the dark and empty shop, along with an empty cash register.

Which wasn't so empty now, thanks to me. She covered her mouth with the palm of her hand, looking like she was about to burst into tears at the sight of it. I really, really didn't want her to cry. I'm not very good with other people crying.

Her old and wrinkled tuck shop lady arms flung around me and she hugged me with all her might. "Thank you. You've done a wonderful thing, Lily." The sight of the full register, and the customers in the store seemed to make her forget that I had broken into the shop.