[Six]

I definitely had mixed feelings about my decision to come to the antique store today. I wasn't going to at first. The thought of having to look into the aged eyes of Mr. Simmons after what I had done wasn't exactly appealing.

They hadn't arrested him yet because the investigation wasn't over. He was definitely their number one suspect and he had been detained in the holding cell at the police station for a fair few days. He posted his bail though, which had now put him in a huge amount of debt.

The only irritating thing about being in public is that I had to keep up the facade that masks my private joy and elation. I had to constantly keep a sorrowful look upon my face in order to convince the towns people that I was completely devastated by Jennifer's death. Oh their poor clueless souls.

Jordan was supposed to meet up with me but he decided not to come at the last minute, which meant that I now had to deal with this situation alone. 

As soon as I arrived at the antique store I went straight to my regular spot; the books. News had spread around town about the possibility that Mr. Simmons had killed Jennifer, so the store wasn't as busy. It was usually flowing with people, the lines almost going out of the door. I think it was the fact that Mr. Simmons was so nice to everyone and it was a pleasure to be served by him. 

Now though, people just tried to avoid him at all costs. It was horrible to see though. He always looked so lonely and defeated nowadays. All he had was his wife to keep him company and help him through all of this. This was probably the only thing I felt guilty about. 

I hated being the cause of all his turmoil and devastation. He was such a lovely man, but so convenient at the time. Although I always tried my very best to act normal around him, it wasn't exactly the easiest task.

His deflated looking eyes always lit up with a small spark every time I gave him the smallest of smiles. As if I was his favourite person in the world. I knew it was just because I was practically the only person besides his wife who would give him the time of day. 

Instead of hearing the constant jingling sound of the bell as a new customer entered of exited the store, I probably only heard it no more than three times. I stayed at the back of the store reading for a while. I didn't want to go home and deal with everything that was going on there. The whole family was a wreck and they were bringing my mood down. 

I hadn't heard the bell above the door for an hour so when I eventually did hear it, my head snapped up in an effort to get a glance at one of the only customers the store would get today. Instead of an old woman searching for a few antique pieces that perhaps would remind her of earlier times, it was a pair of police officers. Adorned in ight blue button up t-shirts, dark navy pants and an equipment belt each. Fully stocked with a gun, baton, and all manners of weapons.

They were quite intimidating and they had only just walked through the door. I couldn't but get the sinking feeling that they had figured it out and were here to find me and bring me in. The clattering of the metal cuffs that were hooked onto the side of their belt caused my heart to beat in an erratic manner. 

I closed the book that i was almost through reading and shoved it unceremoniously back onto the shelf and hid behind an old cabinet, only half of my face peeking out.

However they didn't walk straight to the back like I was expecting them to. They didn't go further than the counter and waited patiently until Mr. Simmons made his way out from the back room.

"O-Oh." His stutter made it obvious to me that he knew these two officers well and wasn't quite fond of being in their presence once again. "Is there anything I can help you with, lads?"

Always with the kindness. Even when he was faced with two police officers and a murder accusation on his shoulders. 

"Mr. Simmons, we need to take you in. Please come with us," the shorter of the two officers requested. It was clear that he liked Mr.Simmons and was not eager to do this.

Mr. Simmons' whole body was shaking with fear, his voice trembling as he spoke. "I didn't do it I tell you!" 

"Please come with us willingly or we will have no other choice but to put the cuffs on you." The second officer didn't seem so kind and there was a hint of impatience in his voice. I guess we know who the 'bad cop' in this partnership is.

Mr. Simmons' voice turned fro forceful to pleading. "My wife, who will look after her if I'm put away. Who will look after my store?" His old wrinkled knuckles turned white as he gripped on to the glass counter for support. "Why won't you believe that I didn't do this!"

The officers made their way around the other side of the counter. Unfortunately, bad cop got to Mr. Simmons first and he wasn't exactly gentle as he grabbed his arms and pulled them behind his back.

At that moment I wanted to jump out and confess, but I knew I couldn't do that. I still had things I needed to do. People I need to kill, and secrets that need to be revealed.

"The forensic evidence says otherwise." 

The cuffs must have been put on too tight because his hands were turning white and they were clearly cutting into his wrist. I wanted to punch bad cops lights out. 

I made my way out from my hiding spot and slowly made my way to the front, finally convinced that they weren't here to bring me in. I could see a large crowd forming outside, peering in through the glass windows in order to get a glimpse at what was unfolding inside.

Sure they could all watch him get arrested but couldn't come in and buy a single thing off of him. Pathetic people.

Embarrassment, shame, and fear were written all over his face and for the first time in a very long time, real tears began to form. This is all my fault and there was nothing I could do about it now. The one thing I regret about this whole situation is getting Mr. Simmons involved with it. I was selfish and used him as my scapegoat.

He looked at me with sorrow filled eyes, pleading with me to believe him. "I didn't do it Lilly Dear, I promise you that."

"I..I know Mr. Simmons, I believe you. Everything with be okay." My promises were empty, but it was all I could do for him. If I could ease his worry and fear even the smallest bit, then maybe my guilt will eventually go away.

The small light of hope and relief that sparked in his eyes almost made my heart break. 

The jingle of bell above the door happily contradicting the situation as the rough officer pushed Mr. Simmons carelessly out the door.

"You are not obliged to say or do anything unless you wish to do so, but whatever you say or do may be used in evidence…." The sound of the officers reading Mr. Simmons his rights faded away, along with the happiness and hope in the old man's eyes.

-----------

V o t e | C o m m e n t | F a n

~Alyssa