Chapter Eight and Epilogue

TO THE READER~PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END.  THERE IS A SURPRISE WAITING FOR YOU!

Chapter Eight~Oh Death!  Where Is Thy Sting

Aylaina

Kate and I returned to the camp.  We had secured Isabella’s place in the castle by making sure it looked as though she was struck down by one of us.  Robin and Guy called out to us to “Get back to camp!”  So here we waited for their safe, we hoped, return.

I looked up at the sound of horses hooves.  John was riding into camp with another horse tethered to his arm.  Someone was laid across it’s back.

 Frozen to the spot I was standing, I put my hand to my mouth.  Oh dear God!  It was Guy!  John was lifting him carefully from the horse and helped him to sit against a tree.  I quickly ran to my husband’s side.  Kneeling beside him, I took his hand into mine.  Guy grasped it tightly.

"Aylaina,”  he said in a hoarse whisper.  “I prayed to God to let me live long enough to see you again.”  He touched my cheek with the back of his fingers.

“You are going to be fine.”  I sobbed, trying to convince myself.  “Tuck can fix you up.”  My tears were flowing unhindered. 

Guy gripped my hand more tightly.  “Did you not hear what I said, Aylaina?  I prayed to God!”

Taking his face into my hand, I stammered, “ Does that mean you have accepted God’s forgiveness?”

“Yes, Aylaina.”  he said in a strong voice which made me think he might get through this.  But then his grip on my hand loosened as he continued to speak. 

“We will see each other again, Aylaina!  I know that now.”  Guy’s voice was barely a whisper as he gazed into my eyes.  My tears continued to flow.  I clung to him fiercely. 

“No, NO!“  I cried.  “You can’t leave me here.  I stayed for you, Guy.  Don’t leave me!”  I clung to his body, my face close to his. 

My father and Elliot were sitting on the other side of Guy.  Elliot took Guy’s hand and they clasped wrists.  “I am proud to call ye Father.”  Elliot said through forced-back tears.  Guy said in a strong voice, “And I am proud to call you my son!” 

My father told Guy he could not have asked for a better man to care for his daughter.  “Go with God.”  he said.

“Guy, please!”  I begged.  “You cannot leave me now.  I need you!  I can’t stay here without you!”

 “You will see me again one day, Aylaina.  Know that I love you, my dear heart!  You are the gift I never deserved and I will always love only you.”  

“No, Guy!”  I was moaning and wailing.  I never felt such agony in my life!  “I won’t let you go.  Stay with me Guy.  You're not going to die!  I won’t let you!”

He lifted his hand to my face one last time.  “Aylaina.”  he whispered and he was gone.

"No, no, no."  I laid my cheek against Guy's, then I kissed him, shook him by the shoulders.  "Guy!  Don't leave me."  I cried into his chest.

I lay there next to Guy’s body for a long time.  I would not let go of him.  He was my reason for being in this time.  My thoughts were of one thing.  “God, let me die!”  I cried.  “I can’t stay in this century without him.”

My father was trying to get me to come away and sit by the fire, but I could not make myself leave Guy’s side.  He finally had to physically lift me and take me to my bunk.  I lay there in a trance.  The past events were running through my mind like a horrible nightmare or bad ending to a much anticipated story.  For just one moment I thought about my gun and how easy it would be to just....but, no.  Guy would not want me to do such a thing.  God would not want me to.  Oh, but how easy it would all be, to have this over with.  My old life was gone and now my new life was gone.  With these thoughts, I fell into a fitful slumber, crying and moaning.  Occasionally I would wake and see my father sitting with me.  I would drift back to sleep.  My night passed in this uneasy way.