Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

The Best Laid Plans.....~

 Guy

 Robin always had a plan, but this one was a bit far-fetched, even for Robin. 

 After returning the queen to Aquitaine, Robin and I would return to Nottingham as Isabella’s prisoners, assuming that might assuage the prince's disappointment over his mother being rescued.  Isabella would tell him that Ian and Elliot and Ian’s soldiers ambushed her and returned the queen to her home.  Isabella’s forces were able to capture Robin and me before we could join up with Ian and Elliot and without the rest of our group knowing what had happened.  That meant that once again we would have to come up with a plan to be rescued from Prince John and the sheriff.

This time, it wasn’t a matter of not trusting Robin.  More like I wasn’t sure if the others could pull it off.

John, holding his ever present quarterstaff said, impatiently, “Gisborne, we know what we’re doing.  How many times have we rescued someone from your clutches?”  His face was open and honest.  There was no malicious intent, but I was annoyed. 

Rolling my eyes I turned to Robin and asked, “Do you think Prince John will accept Isabella back into the castle?  How do we know he won’t just have her hanged along with the rest of us?”

Before Robin could answer, Aylaina entered the conversation.

“I will be a prisoner, too.  The prince wants me,” she blushed, “so If I am among the captured he will be mollified, maybe even give Isabella back her job as sheriff.”

‘No!”  I exclaimed, grasping Aylaina’s arms,  “It’s too dangerous.  I won’t let you do it!”

Kate stepped up to us, saying, “I will go, too.  The sheriff wants me and that will sweeten the pot.”

Turning to Robin, I said, “We can’t let them do this.  We aren’t even sure we can escape!”

“Guy,” Aylaina entreated.  “It will ensure Isabella’s status at the castle.  We need her there and delivering you two without the queen may not have the desired result.”

Robin appeared to be thinking this idea through.  “Our company are strong.” he said.  “We have two more able-bodied men to help in the escape.  I think we might be able to pull this one off.

Aylaina turned to me.  “My father won’t let anything happen to me and neither will our son, Guy.  We have to try it.”

I could no longer argue the point because even Ian agreed that we should do this thing.  Aylaina was precious to him and if he could go along with this plan, then so could I.

The plan was set in motion.  John took all of Isabella's guards, blindfolded and with no armor or weapons, deep into the forest.  The cart that  was used to transport Eliot and Archer now was used to take the guards away.  That mission would take several hours so we made ready for the trip to Aquitaine.  When John returned, we would take the queen home and Aylaina and Kate would wait here with Eliot, Archer and Ian until we returned.