Chapter Four

Chapter Four~A Travers La Mer~

 Father and Son~

Guy

The remainder of our journey to the port went without incidence.  The storm we had expected never came and we were all thankful for that.  We reached a tavern just before nightfall so we decided to get something to eat and stay the night with the idea that we would be refreshed in the morning for the voyage to France.

Robin spoke to the innkeeper,  “My good man, do you have lodgings and a supper for our company?”

“That is quite a large group you have.  I’m not sure if I have enough rooms for all.”

Aylaina stepped forward to address the man.  “I. and this other woman”, she inclined her head toward Kate, “ are servants to this lady,” she gestured to the queen, “and we could stay in one room.”  I saw Aylaina take the man’s hand.

“Surely you would have enough room now?”  she asked.

The innkeeper replied, “Yes, I believe we can work something out.  Please come into the dining hall and we will serve you some of our finest stew!”

The dining hall was a large room with several long tables in rows from one wall to the other.  Many people were seated, some eating, some simply drinking.

As we took our seats at one of the long tables, I said to Aylaina,  “Do not borrow trouble,” referring to her chat with the innkeeper.  To which Robin merrily exclaimed,  “She doesn’t have to borrow it, Guy, She already owns it!”

Turning her gaze to Robin, Aylaina laughed back, “It seems to me that you own about as much trouble as I do, Lord Locksley!” 

Robin chuckled at this.  Then he called to the innkeeper, “Bring us a jug of ale and some wine,  good man!   We have had a long trip.”

The table held our entire company and I noticed that Elliot sat at the far end with Archer across from him.  They seemed to have formed a bond of sorts.  Aylaina sat next to me.  Kate, Robin and John sat across from us.  The Queen sat next to John--who squirmed uncomfortably, even as he smiled sheepishly.  Ian was seated beside Aylaina, and the soldiers across from each other.

Lord MacLeod addressed his daughter,  “What did ye give that man, lass?  Now there’s no use denying it,”  Ian said as Aylaina shook her head,  “I saw ye!”

Aylaina, looking a bit sheepish, replied, “I had a few gold coins.  I thought it would speed up the process if he had a little incentive.”

A serving woman brought out a large pot and some bowls and began ladling out the stew for each of us.

After taking a large spoonful of stew, I turned to Aylaina.  “Where did you get gold coins?”  I asked since we hadn’t done any robbing from the rich before we left.

Aylaina, quite indignant, answered, “Conor did not leave me without provision!  He thought that someday he might be killed in battle.  He wanted to make sure I was provided for as he knew his family would not care for me.”  She lowered her head and took a deep breath, then raising her head again, she continued, addressing me, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, Guy.  I just thought I would use it in case of emergencies.”

“And buying a gown back in Locksley was an emergency?”  I retorted.

“Well, yes,”  Aylaina responded, her eyes laughing, “I was angry with you at the time, remember?

“I do.”  I said and left it at that.  Conversation stopped as everyone was busy eating.  Robin passed round the jug of ale to the men and the ladies all had wine.