Chapter 14 The evil underbelly of marketing

Railton House was a four-square, stone, Georgian house centred in its own grounds, framed by a mix of Scots pines, larch and Nordic pines that gave it a dark, secretive look. The gravel drive was bordered by manicured grass still wintry yellow-tinged. Peacocks strutted blue-brilliant, their occasional penetrating, questing cry echoing around the trees and off the walls of the house. 

The sun, fitfully filtering through thin clouds driven by a strong wind, glinted on the smooth curves and restrained chrome highlights of three near new Jaguar XJ's. 

"That's forty thousand a year depreciation in the car park," said Liz. 

"Sorry about the four year old Granada. Doesn't it make you feel like a poor relation?" 

"No," she said, giving me a brilliant smile, "I'm just glad you're driving it, whatever it is." 

I parked the car beside the elegant fleet. 

In the shelter of a portico set on two stone columns I rang the bell. The wind moaned dismally in the trees. Liz looked at the extensive grounds, the well maintained facade of the house, and shivered. 

A pretty young woman in a short skirt, black tights and a parody of a Victorian maid's uniform answered the door. I gave Liz and my names, and she made a little curtsey and said, "You are expected. Come in." 

Liz breathed heavily in disapproval. 

Eve glided into the hall from a side door. She was built much like Liz with a similar luxuriant figure. Her hair was a brilliant blonde, but whereas Liz was always covered in the day, apart from her legs, Eve wore a thin and revealing lacy-edged silk blouse. 

"Ms Norton, let me be the first to welcome you to Railton House. And Graham, how nice. I was so sad to hear of your wife's death. I hope you have by now come to terms with it. 

"Now, come and meet the Board. They are anxious to greet you." 

She opened the door and announced us. I saw Liz create a smile for her face, and advance into the room. As I passed close to Eve, a heavy musky perfume radiated from her exposed throat. 

There were three men in the lounge who stood and waited for Eve to introduce Liz to them. There was a general shaking of hands and 'did you have a good journey' greetings. 

We sat down except Eve. Liz had kept close to me throughout the initial circus and we ended up together on a sofa, one side of an occasional table, opposite the three men in armchairs. Eve put a silver tray with a bottle of champagne and six crystal flutes on the table. 

John Herrigan, Managing Director, was dark and brooding, with black hair streaked grey, and hooded eyes. He spoke quietly through thin lips above a deep-clefted and prominent chin. "I thought Ms Norton, we would mark our first meeting in the flesh," here he looked fleetingly at Liz's legs exposed to mid thigh by the angle imposed by the low height of the sofa, and licked his lips briefly, "by something more celebratory than tea or coffee." 

He stripped the gold faced lead foil, removed the wire cage, and allowed the cork to extrude with a controlled thup. A little coil of white vapour issued from the neck of the bottle, and he carefully filled the flutes, whilst Eve passed them round. 

"Here's to a succesful merger Ms Norton." We drank. It was the best of champagnes. 

Eve, who had sat opposite, gazed at me with dark edged light blue-green eyes with large pupils, and smiled, "I see that pleases you, Graham." 

"Yes. It's a heady experience drinking good champagne at eleven in the morning. I could get used to it." 

"So, Ms Norton - might we call you Liz?" said Herrigan, "How's it all shaping up, then?"