Chapter 6 A getaway week-end is planned and starts - but hesitantly

Marjorie breezed into the pub to meet Steve. She had been doing some agricultural task, and her hair was windblown and her colour high, the picture of vigorous health. 

"I'm sorry," she said to Steve, "I look a fright I expect, but I either missed you or didn't finish the job, and I wanted to do both, or is it neither? Anyway you've got me as I am." 

They hugged. "I'll have you any way you come," he said, "You've met Graham." 

"Oh yes, you nicely threw us together. For which we're very grateful," She gave me a warm kiss on the cheek, "Tell, me do you always let your staff chase after strange women in office hours?" 

I laughed, "It's not written in my personnel procedure, but good human relations and keeping a happy team are. It sort of flowed from that." 

"Look boys, I must at least ensure I haven't straw in my hair or mud in my eye, so get me a big G and T, and a pate ploughman's while I have a look in the little girls room." 

"She's a breath of fresh air," I said, "after that phone call this morning." 

"Yes. She's so in tune with her surroundings that everything seems so much easier." 

Marjorie returned. She'd taken off the heavy leather jacket, and underneath was wearing a dark green blouse. Her hair was still abundant but tamed and shining. Subtle make up had made her beautiful, and desirable. Steve kissed her. "You're adorable. Food and drink for my best girl." 

"You said there was no one else." 

"There isn't," I said, "he doesn't get time."

"Hey, I was trying to play hard to get." 

"Well I'd love to see what happens when you're really after someone. You must be under their window every night with a guitar serenading them." 

"Has he been attentive then?" I asked.

"Yes, he's been very sweet." 

"Look. I'm still here," said Steve, "Let's talk about someone else eh? 

"Now, Graham is trying to get to grips with a girl too. But his lady's a much more complicated animal." 

"Be fair, she's a good ten years older than Marjorie. She's entitled to be more complicated." 

"No Graham, Ruth is an order of magnitude different. She's what I'd call weird. And I reckon she's put a spell on you. 

"Now Marjorie, Graham insists on getting thoroughly enchanted and wants to hive her off to a retreat this weekend. But she doesn't want any witnesses to the magic so it's not to be a hotel. Any ideas?" 

"Well. As it happens a friend of mine has a holiday cottage in Dovedale. Pass me my jacket, pet." She pulled out a small filofax. I passed her my phone. 

"That would be perfect." 

"Kenny, it's me, Marjorie Bentham. I'm fine. Is your cottage in Dovedale free this week end? Right - Good - OK - Hang on," she put her hand over the 'phone and said, "It's free but one of the bedrooms is being redecorated so there's only the one double bed room, but I guess that's all you need really isn't it," she grinned. 

"Say yes, and I'll talk to him later about details." 

I telephoned Ruth. "I've booked a cottage self-catering in Dovedale, Derbyshire. Leave everything except your personal suitcase to me." 

"That sounds lovely. Aren't you good. When do we go?" 

"Friday night." 

"What about food?"