Chapter 5 Psychology of love, the filthy Press, fending the client off.

Chapter 5 

The night passed quickly, but I was very tired when Matt came to relieve me. I drove back to the Sparrow Hawk where I lodged most of the time whilst on the site. 

The lass at reception said, as she handed my key, "We wondered whether you'd done a runner, Mr Wisheart." 

"Oh, of course, I haven't been here for two nights. Things happen." 

I had a bath, and went to bed. 

I surfaced at lunch time, and arrived at the site at two. The weather couldn't make up its mind and blew clouds into sharp showers and brilliant clear sunshine by turns. There was the feel of some heat in the sun. 

Matt was clearing up at the end of his shift. 

"You still look tired Graham," he said, "but I've found out why. That's your little story isn't it." 

I read the headline 'DESPERATE DRIVE BY ENGINEER IN SUICIDE RESCUE.' The paper was the Harrogate Advertiser. Staring from a long telephoto shot taken at the hospital was Ruth in moody contemplation. The account of the run had been reconstructed from drivers who had phoned the police and been fobbed off with a 'The driver has been prosecuted and punished.' These presumably thought I should be punished in some form of public hanging ceremony and had resentfully talked to the reporter. Prominent amongst these was the driver of the Tarmac quarry truck. 

The reporter had been fair in making clear that whilst driving to the upper limit I hadn't endangered anyone except ourselves. He also pointed out that Ms Howard could have otherwise died. I came out about even I thought. 

"Did you really do that, wrong side round a traffic island and all? Where did you learn to drive like that?" 

"I used to race a sports car. Leave it." 

"You can't." 

"Why?" 

"You're not going to like this. This is from the client." 

I looked at a fax. 'Wisheart from Carlton. What are you playing at associating with the wild women protesters. See Harrogate Advertiser Tuesday. Demand immediate explanation of action.' 

I laughed,"That's simple. All he's asked for is an 

explanation. He should have been specific. What he really wants is a report, but he's such a rank amateur he didn't ask the right question." 

I tapped in the computer terminal. 'Carlton from Wisheart. Common humanity demanded my helping these folk. I have no wish to have death on my hands.' and sent it to their E mail address. 

"Any other problems?" 

"Only Steve's big one," said Matt, "but it's long term. It isn't to do directly with the contract." 

"Sounds intriguing." 

"He'll tell you later." 

I inspected the works and updated the computers. We weren't doing the night shift that night. It was unfair on the men to hammer too hard, besides with just three of us able to hold the responsible safety slot we couldn't cover continuous 24 hour working. We finished at six and the site wound down. 

The little mobile 'phone rang. "Wisheart." 

"Hello Graham." 

"Hi Mandy." 

"It's brilliant something so small can work so well and be so clear. We wanted to know if you'll be visiting Ruth this evening." 

"I'm just about to set off, have you seen her today?"