Chapter 25

I catch the eye of Rose while running away. She's waving frantically like a monkey, but I can't make out the words on her lips. Whatever it is, I'll have to go without. 

They have no chance of finding us, because Johanna and I planned this journey when we stayed with Tigris. Our map to the rebels is genius, and I know we can make it. 

At the end of Effie's property is woods. Not my woods, but close enough that I know to navigate the way. 

"It's still dark, we should camp out," I say to Johanna. We make our way 100 feet into the woods, because that is how far in Peeta and I camp with the kids in our woods. My eyes scan for a tree that looks thick with easy branch access. When I finally settle on one, I hike myself up and motion Johanna to the tree next to me. She nods, and climbs the tree with ease. I remember back before this new world, when we had districts, Johanna was always surrounded by trees. This really helps her now, because these trees are no easy task. 

I slip under my pack, and begin to wait for sunrise. As soon as the sun peaks the sky, we move. Trains wait at a port a few miles south, and some mostly go back near home. We need to find the rebels, and I know there is no other way to do it but starting at home. My mind begins to map the route, and I slip out of consciousness.    

MY attention peaks from the crunch of heavy weight on the leaves below. Immediate my mind thinks animal, so I string my bow. The crunching stops and switches to a noise I cannot pinpoint.  I exhale slowly, thinking about what could be lurking in these woods at night. 

"Katniss," a whisper comes from a tree next to me. My throat clogs up at the voice next to me. Weight crunches down on my thick branch and I gasp. 

"Peeta?" His face lights up t the sight of me. 

"Katniss, oh my god, Katniss," he says my name again.

I look up to the stars and see that it has been at least two hours since I arrived here and dozed off, so there is no way Peeta could have followed us here. Especially since we ran a diversion path before entering the woods at this section. I whisper to Peeta, asking puzzled how he found us. 

"You talk a lot more than you think," he chuckles with a childish grin. When I clearly don't understand this, Peeta elaborates. "Come on, Katniss. Every time we go camping, you blabber about going 100 paces into the woods, the way to find a firm tree to sit in, how to hide, and so on." He laughs at my blotchy blushing face. "It's okay, I like when you talk about nature. It is one of my favorite things in the world, actually." His eyes pour warmth into my soul, and I can't help but crack a smile. 

"You left the meeting early," I think aloud. "Did you start out then?" He nods, gesturing to a pack of supplies. Then I realize what this means. Oh my God, he wants to come. There is no way Peeta can come with us. We would be abandoning our kids with the other families. Everyone is probably frantic that we escaped back out, and hasn't realized that Peeta left. Chances are, we have a an hour or so before it adds up. At least Rose knows I didn't intend this. She can explain it all to Isaac when they figure out Peeta is gone. He'll be home soon, anyway. As fast as I get get him back to the safe house. 

The look in Peeta's eyes tells me he is expecting to be sent back, and will fight it. Instead, I should let him think he's coming with. 

"Alright, let's wake Johanna then. We'll explain the plan later."  He looks skeptical, but follows me anyway. 

Johanna is shocked to see Peeta, but acts very nonchalant. I feel very grateful for this, considering the situation. 

Peeta packs supplies, and we get on the move. However I will dump him safely, we need to get moving. Our expedition moves east, toward the rails. 

After almost an hour of silence, Peeta turns to me. 

"Where are we going?" 

"Home."