Little Talks

I decided to go to my house before going to Neal's. I walked the whole way because no one's house was too far away from each other's in this neighborhood and I needed time to clear my head before speaking with Neal.

When I got there, my sister's car was the only one parked in the drive way.

I cringed as soon as I saw it. I had disappeared last night not even bothering to call home. It wasn't for my parent's sake; they probably didn't even know I had gone to the party, more for my sisters. I knew she cared about my wellbeing.

I hesitated before I walked into the house, slowly closing the door trying not to make my presence known to my sister then I tiptoed to the stairs.

I didn't get a foot up on a step before I heard Gwen growl from behind me. "Where in the hell have you been?" She snapped.

I cringed for the second time, slowly swiveling around to face her. "I-I was uh..." I started off not really sure if I should tell her about spending that night at Olivia's. Good thing Gwen started ranting before I could even finish.

"I was worried when I couldn't find you when we were leaving the party," She shouted throwing her hands up in frustration. "I called you about 100 times; I thought something had happened to you."

I really should have checked my messages. I hung my head with guilt, not really wanting to look at her face that was filled with disappointment, "I-I'm sorry."

Gwen sighs loudly, putting her hands on her hips, tilting her head towards the ceiling. "It's alright. It's just you have never been to a party before and I shouldn't have left you."

"It was expected." As soon as it the words left my mouth I felt kind of bad; Gwen lips down turned into a frown. Gwen felt bad when I brought up the fact that I'm always at home alone or our parents really don't care about me that much because she often tried to ignore it. "I m-mean, it was a party I expected you to go off and have fun." I didn't expect her to take Neal with her.

Gwen looked at me with an unreadable expression before coming over to me and pulling me into a hug. I haven't gotten a hug from Gwen since I was at least 10 or so. I was so shocked I just stood there as she hugged me. I felt like I was being rude not returning it so I lifted a hand and patted her awkwardly on the back.

"So what really happen? Where were you?"

I didn't want to tell her that Nolan had spiked my drink because then all hell would break loose or the fact that Olivia had left me alone for a few moments; so I thought on my feet.

"Uh, w-well Olivia had a f-few drinks and I didn't think it was safe f-for her to drive home so I-I took her." I swallowed trying to keep my stutter in check otherwise she would surely know I was lying. "Then Olivia let me stay at her house." I sort of mumbled the last part, but she still heard me.

"Are you serious?" Gwen said with squinted eyes and a big Cheshire type grin. I ducked my head trying to hide my blush, looking down at my feet. "Did something happen?" I just stood there, not saying anything, trying to avoid the question.

I was released from my misery when we heard someone come lumbering down the stairs. My grandma came down lugging to suitcases. I rushed forward to help rest of the way.

"Thank you kangaroo," She said a little breathless, making her way down the rest of the stairs. "Let's get this show on the road; I don't want to miss my flight."

My shoulders slumped immediately when I heard that. I had completely forgotten this was grandma's last day here. She would be leaving me to the wolves that were my parents. Without her, judgment would come at me in heaps.