Oh Sweet Mary

<< NA/

Hey guys this is chapter 5 of Nathan’s story and I hope you enjoy it...

WARNING: THE following chapter contains quite a lot of swearing...>>

   One, two, three, smile, I thought to myself before opening the front door. If I walked in with a face like a dog’s arse everyone would start asking questions and I don’t really feel like explaining anything at this point in time.

“Dinner in five,” mum yelled as I entered the house. “Hey sweetie did you have fun with your friends?”

I nodded.

“That’s good, go sit down while I get food ready then.”

Why is she being so sweet? To be honest, I don’t know and I don’t care. I just have to get through this dinner as if everything is fine so I can get to my room quicker and drown myself in my own tears!

Giving a nod, I did as I was told and went into the sitting room where dad and Kenny were. Dad was reading the newspaper, upside down; whilst Kenny was staring blindly at the television, even though it was turned off…

“Hey Kenny, how was your day?” I asked trying to spark up a conversation.

 It’s rare that Kenny would pass off a chance to talk about himself so I was quite shocked when he stayed cold and unresponsive.  When Kenny was in a mood with the world he would shrug or grunt in response so this was quite strange.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; who peed in his cornflakes?

“Dinner’s ready!” mum yelled from the kitchen, cutting the silence like a knife cutting butter*.

“Thank God,” I mumbled under my breath before sprinting out of that room faster than you can say… oh I don’t know… apples?

“That was um a nice meal, mum, right dad?” I asked trying to spark up the conversation.

All through this dinner nobody but mum and I had said anything. This was starting to depress me more than the Arden situation. I was hoping this dinner would help me try to forget about it. I had wanted to ask what they were meant to tell me at dinner but given the atmosphere in this house I didn’t feel it was the right time to bring it up again.

“Yes hone, it was delicious,” dad smiled at mum before giving her a small peck on the cheek.

That’s it. In a matter of time we’ll go back to being the happy family we’ve always been. I’m like amazing at fixing things. I should make my own show. The Nathan Jones Show. It would surely put Jerry Springer and Maury out of business.

I smiled at the thought of that but that smile was quickly wiped of my face.

“You make me sick.”

We all turned to Kenny. I don’t know if it was at the surprise of his words or the fact that he’d finally spoken.

“Kenny, don’t start,” dad growled at him but Kenny didn’t even flinch.

Just when I thought things were going back to normal Kenny just had to ruin it. Goodbye show.

“Kenny nothing. You said, and I quote, “we’ll talk about it at dinner”,” Kenny said mimicking mum’s pixie like voice. As immature as he was being it was hard not to laugh but thankfully I fought the urge. “But yet you’re all burying it under the rug and pretending everything is so fucking great when it isn’t!”