Page 31.

Chapter 26

It was late evening before Matt emerged and Aiden had a headache from the day. Thuds and horrific beats rocked throughout his crowded head in a clumsy fashion.

"Aiden, I've finally found you, mate," Matt murmured from afar. Aiden shrugged, barely listening. "I didn't mean for your mum to kick you out yesterday. I'm so sorry. Really, I'm just so, so sorry." Matt shook his head in sorrow. "It must be hard to say goodbye."

"Shut up," Aiden said calmly. "You know full well she's a bitch and I don't give a fuck about her. It's nothing new. It happens all the time. I used to just sleep on a bench somewhere, then I started to stay with David," Aiden clung to the metal railings in front of him. As he mentioned David, he turned his head to the flat next to his. It obviously reminded Aiden of him. His eyes were wide and childlike, but filled with sparkling tears, fizzing from the surface.

Noticing Aiden's strange expression, Matt nudged him, "What's the matter? Did his mum finally… y'know?" Aiden nodded solemnly. "Oh my God," Matt whispered gently, "That must have been hard for him. How's he taken it?"

Aiden's eyes didn't shift from David's apartment. "Gone," he whispered. His voice was stolen by the thick wind.

"Huh?" Matt cupped a hand to his ear. Aiden repeated himself, lowering his voice even more. "What?" Matt shouted over the rustling wind.

"He's gone," Aiden remained sitting on the balcony. his arms still wrapped around the railings. His line of vision smashed right into David's flat. He crossed his legs and sat silently for a few seconds, before Matt lowered himself to the floor too.

"He's gone? Where?" Matt asked quietly. Aiden waved his hand in response, shrugging. "Is he coming back?"

"No."

"Ever?"

"Never."

There were no more words exchanged and there didn't need to be. Instead, they left the block of flats and wandered the streets of their small town. Cars rushed past in tow with bushes, trees, passer-bys. With no destination, they had no route.

The late evening was cushioned with a velvet layer of life. The sky was a solemn satin shade of orange. Birds in trees made pointless chirping noises, whilst the gentle breeze whistled past them. It was soft and gentle, but a horrendous blur of abruptness. Their lack of speech spoke a hundred words.
It was an hour and a half before Matt uttered a single word. They were sat on a park bench, in a blushing green field. A few dog walkers were about, but none paid any attention to the two teenage boys. Matt's voice was hoarse with nerves when he spoke, "Where?"

"Canada."

"He's not… not… dead, then?" Matt stuttered.

Aiden shot Matt a dirty look.

"I'm so sorry," Matt reached his hand out to meet Aiden's.

"No you're not," Aiden spat, shaking off Matt's ourstreched palm vigorously. "You were jealous of him. You hated him."

"That's a bit strong. I didn't like the guy, but you did. I really am sorry. Ade, I'm sorry," Matt blushed with sorrow.

"Don't call me that," Aiden said suddenly.

"What? Call you what?"

"Don't. Just don't. Don't, don't call me that. He… he… Don't call me that. Please, please. Don't say that. He used to… Don't call me that. Why did you call me that? Why did you…"

Aiden broke down. Tears streamed down his scarlett face and he sighed. He looked out over the council flats, he looked at the bland sky, and the grey clouds and at the depressed people passing through their everyday life.

"Let's leave," he said finally. "For London, now."

Matt grinned but Aiden didn't notice.