Page 27.

Chapter 22.

"Oh, hello Aiden! Haven't seen you for a while!" Sandra beamed pleasantly at Aiden as he stepped inside. "Matt's upstairs," she smiled.

He nodded and ran up the stairs, bursting Matt's bedroom door open. "We're getting out of here."

"Oh, hey, Aiden. Any good at trigonometry?"

"I mean it."

"So do I."

"Matt, let's get a train somewhere. Anywhere. We can get some work somewhere, squat in a house for a while. Build a life elsewhere."

"OK, let me just finish my maths homework first, all right?"

"Matt!" Aiden's immediate outburst broke Matt from his schoolwork, and they sat on the bed together.

"What's up?" Matt sighed. Aiden didn't answer - he couldn't, because the tears consumed him. It was everything: the weight if the world; a mountain of problems . . . and he was collapsing under the weight.

"Wait," Aiden sniffed through his tears, "I should hate you. You left me last night, you left…"

Matt nodded and held Aiden close to his chest and rested his own head upon his boyfriend's. The closeness was rare these days and they both appreciated it. It was complicated how it got to the next step.

They were both hugging but then they weren't. It was a matter of seconds before it turned to passion.

Urges of sexual tension were released and neither of them held back. It was hot and beautiful. Somehow, Matt was prepared. It was a rush, adrenaline. Power and love. Burning heat, rage. Sensitivity, warm cocoa, the sweet taste of sugar, a withering smell of scented candles, blowing in the wind. A roar of comfort, a war of nonchalance.

Awkwardly and ironically cumbersome.

. . .  It. Just. Happened.

"Get out, Aiden."

"What? Uh, oh my God. It's not how it looks."

"Get out, Aiden."

"I'm really sorry, it just, uh, happened."

"Get out, Aiden."

"OK, but- OK. I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry."

"Get out, Aiden."

"MUM! It's not how it looks!" Matt joined the conversation.

"Explain it to me," she shot him a dark, dark look.

"OK, it is how it looks," he shrugged, ever-so helpful. Meanwhile, Aiden started to gather his clothing and head for the door.

"I guess we won't be seeing you again then, Aiden," she said as sweetly as poison, yet as sickly as honey. Her fully black eyes danced.

The escape route was easy: simply out through the front door. And he was still standing! Cant've been that bad. Matt's parents would come to accept it soon. Stuff would be normal soon.

For the first time ever.

So he walked back 'home', and had a long discussion with Sarah about how bad the state of the world is when Tesco have completely run out of AA batteries. Needless to say, it was mostly one sided, seeing as one member of the 'boring club' could barely speak.

And then it was over.