Chapter 7 - Take Me Away

Amy loves Olivia.  The two chat animatedly while Rory watches them both with affection.  But how can they be here in Scotland?  In 1992?  Olly pays me no attention but stays focused on the Ponds.

“We have to watch our time.” Rory whispered to Amy, checking his golden wrist watch.

“I know, just a little longer.”

“Can I come with you?” Olivia asks.  “I like you two better than the other parents.  You’re fun.”

“We can’t make promises,” Amy starts, “but we’ll try.  If we can’t we’ll come back and keep trying.”

“Amy.” Rory says warningly.

“In the meantime, I want you to have this.  I made it especially for you.”

“What is it?  A doll?”

“A Raggedy Man doll.”

“I’ve never heard of one.” Olivia laughs.

“It’s a special doll because it’s made up to look like the real thing.”

“There’s a real Raggedy Man?”

“Yes.”

“He sounds silly.”

“Oh he’s very silly but he’s also very special.  He’ll find you one day, Olivia, and he’ll whisk you away on all sorts of adventures.”

“Really?  He will?”

“He did with me.  He’s a very special, very busy man, Olivia, so whatever you do you must remain patient.  Trust me on this, he’s worth the wait.”

“Okay, I’ll be patient.” She promises.  “Cross my heart.” And she does just that.

“Amy, I’m sorry but…”

“It’s okay, I know.  Okay, sweetie, come here and give me a hug.  There’s a good girl.”

Amy lifts little Olivia into her arms, holding her closely with the child’s head on her shoulder she sniffs and smells her hair as she dabs at her eyes.  She’s on the brink of tears but refuses the tissue Rory offers.

“I’m okay, just want to say goodbye is all.” Amy sniffles.

“You will come back though, won’t you?” Olivia asks as Rory places a kiss on the girl’s cheek.

“We’ll try.” He promises.  “Stay safe, Olivia.”

“Good bye, my sweet one.” Amy sniffles again, setting Olivia back on her feet.  “You keep a look out for that Raggedy Man all right?  He’ll find you, I promise.”

“I will.” Olivia says, in a small voice.

“And tell him that Amy and Rory miss him and that we love him very much, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Oh, come here.” Amy says, kissing the girl on the forehead.  “You look after yourself.  Be a good girl.”

Rory rushes Amy away before she can delay further whilst little Olivia is led away by one of the nurses, looking ashen faced much like her older self behind me.  I’m just about to step out from behind the curtain when Madam Kovarian appears in the doorway blocking the Ponds’ way out.

“Well, what do we have here?” I hear her whisper malevolently.

Amy and Rory visibly turn red in the face with rage but I can no longer hear what they are saying as Kovarian leads them away down the hall.  Beside me Olivia is more composed and looks in the direction where her younger self was taken.