Chapter 5 - Women's Wing

Olivia followed me out of the clearing whilst I walked in line with the piping that led away from the thicket of the jungle into a darker place where there were more drained plants left to rot under the scorching sun.

“God, it stinks.” Olivia said, pinching her nose.

“It’s alright, we’re nearly there.  I can hear the colony ahead.”

Before breaking from the dead plants, Olivia stopped to check the monitor on her cuff to see just how many life signs there were around these parts.  Her fingers lithely tapped and danced over the screen till the results came through.

“It’s not a big colony.” She said after a few minutes.  “A hundred, may be more but not by much.”

“Good, that’s good.”

“But how have they managed to drain so many of these plants?”

“They’ve probably been here a while.  They won’t go easily.”

“May be they have no where else to go?”

“Could be.” I agreed.  “Either way they can’t stay here if they continue to drain the sap from all these plants.”

“What are you going to do?”

Straightening my bow tie, I smiled at her and stepped out from behind the dry bark we were crouched behind, “Appeal to their human nature.”

“Who goes there?” a voice came from behind the high electric fence topped with barbed wire.

“Don’t worry we’re not a threat to you.” I shouted back, indicating for Olivia to join me as they turned a light on to shine on us each in turn.  “We’re friends.”

The light died away leaving us in darkness once more when a noise sounded behind us.

“Did you hear that?” Olivia asked, jumping in fright.

“Sounded like something moving over the dead leaves.”

“This way quickly.” The young man called back.

Three or four men dressed in camouflage had exited the gate once the powerful hum of electricity died away and took stations at either side, flanking the only entrance to the colony on both sides.  Some of them gasped as they caught sight of us and what we wore but didn’t say anything until we were safely inside and the fence started humming again.

“What’s going on?” called an angry voice.

“This is the Commander.” One of the guards said as a tall muscular man with a scarred face approached us from a nearby dark building.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“I’m the Doctor and this is my friend, Olivia.”

“Ollie, I prefer Ollie.” She said.

The others turned to stare at her gasping as if they’d only just noticed her there.

“A woman?” the Commander asked dumbfounded.

“Yes, short, blonde, snarky – a woman.” I agreed.

“Oh, she’ll do fine.” The Commander said, reaching out and grabbing the chain around her neck before pulling it free.

“Hey, just what the hell – get off me!” she shouted as two of the guards pulled her out of the Commanders reach.

“Put her with the other women.  She looks strong, good thing to with the Season upon us.”