Divided We're...Happy?

I had to write a paper on Pakistani nationalism for my history course, a while back.

The definition of Nationalism is very flexible. Basically, a uniting factor. What unites the nation?

On paper it would seem; Islam. This is what brought us together. When the British finally left the subcontinent, the entire point of two separate countries (India/Pakistan) emerging from the ashes was the cause of
"La ilaha illalah" (There's no God except Allah). Our country was named for Islam. "Islamic Republic Of Pakistan".

One of My favorite Urdu writers, Shahab says;

"You may take Pakistan out of Islam, it won't matter to the religion...but you cannot take Islam out of Pakistan. The idea of this country is incomplete without it."

But then, whose Islam?
The Shia's Islam? Or the Sunni's? Or the Ahmadi's? The Ismaili? The Bohri? The ever-new popping sects everywhere, that love playing the exclusivity card (I'm Musalman, and you're Kaafir)

When the norm doesn't even allow peaceful inter-sectarian marriages, when sectarian violence reaches its peaks, when people try to play Monopoly with the faith... we need to start rethinking about our unification point. Because it's obviously not Islam. Not anymore.

I racked my brains further...it protested of course...doesn't appreciate the rough use.

Aside from our mutual disgust for each other (Seriously. No one hates Pakistanis as much as Pakistanis), our only unification point is our hatred for India. (Put down those pitchforks y'all! Calm Down! This is the same situation accross the border, and you can't tell me otherwise. I watch On-Air With AIB. I know what you guys are up to... :3)

The hatred intensifies during cricket season. I'm sadly a part of it...I cannot abide the thought of my team losing to India...even though, let's face it, these 11 men do not represent me, or my family out of the context of the miracle of Birthplace. Which, of course, you would agree that I had nothing to do with. I could have been born in Japan. Or North Korea...why then do I feel disappointed or proud on the accomplishments/disgraces of these 11 men in green?

Hatred should never be the thing that brings us together. It makes the society fractionalized and brittle. And the brief unity that comes from these cricket matches, fades away like traces of adrenaline, after the rush.

A certain Strayan-Pakistani asked me recently; "Do you know how to dispose off corpses?"

...err...*cough*...wrong question...

She asked, "Why do Pakistanis and Indians hate each other?"

I said, I certainly don't hate Indians. None of the Indians I'm acquainted with, hate the average Pakistani... Come to think of it, the only rival hatred surfaces during cricket, which loses its meaning after a while. It truly does. Although it is extremely fun while it lasts!

I for one, love our matches with India. The tension, the energy! It's incredible. And no matter how much I hate losing to them, I cannot deny that certain Indian players have earned my respect through their sportsman spirit. (Not all, mind. Frikkin hate Kohli, and you can't make me like him. Bus) Dhoni, I really respect! Excellent dude. (btw I've heard that he was harassed in India because of saying something pro-pakistani... Is it true? Because if so...then, this is just sad)

On a side Note: The Cricket World Cup 2015 was a study of "Pride comes before a fall", I'm sure Indians would agree that the "Mauka Mauka" Star Sports campaign was one big target practice after India lost to Austrailia. It was extremely funny for us all! At my University, the entire campus gathered to watch the last half of the match in the rec center. (Because: India). And whenever an Indian player got out, or played badly or whatever, some idiot manning the surround system for the entire building played "Mauka Mauka" song. (#Facepalm) then when Austrailia won, the foyer of the rec center turned into an impromptu dance floor. Everyone forgot our own humiliating losses. Which isn't healthy, by any stretch...

I have Indian friends and family that I adore... and the average, non-extremist Pakistani/Indian do not hate each other. (Go on.Prove it. Give a virtual hug to each other. Here's mine; O)

The one other point of contention between the countries is; Kashmir. Which is a more political problem than social in my opinion. Even in that case, I don't hate Indians...I hate the policy-makers of the two countries (Not even the soldiers, who're just following orders) the higher ups...who create situations where soldiers end up killing on both sides, and innocent Kashmiris bear the brunt of that.

A friend with an army background says that when the Indian/Paki soldiers aren't exchanging shell-fire at the Kashmir border, they're typically chatting with each other.

No seriously. Imagine this scene:

Late at night. Atop a mountain. The world blanketed with snow around him. A lonely checkpost guard sitting close to his gas lantern for warmth. No TV to pass the time. No cellphones. His family is safe, hundred of miles away in Lahore. His friends are probably preparing for their university finals... and he is stuck here. Night guard duty at the remotest border post of the country, staring blankly at the enemy checkpost a hundred foot away. His Indian counterpart looks equally desolate. Miserable.

He picks up the Bright Orangek Megaphone the general often uses to hurl threats to the enemy during not-so-peaceful times. He lowers his ski mask, his breath emerging like puffs of misty smoke.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY "I SPY" WITH ME?" His voice echoes around the mountain, in the winter stillness.

The enemy also picks up his megaphone to eloquently reply:

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?"

They go on to complain about their duties. Talk about their families. Their aspirations before they joined the army.... They exchange anecdotes, not gun-fire.

What if I tell you that this is a true story?

Hatred is only as strong as we let it be.

If you're an Indian, what is one thing that you love about Pakistan?

(I Love Indian achitecture!! And I love you for giving me Hera Pheri, Andaz Apna Apna, Queen etc. Excellent humor! I'm a huge fan of Babu Bhayya from Hera Pheri!)

Spread chocolate. Not hate. #LifeMotto