Chapter 18

Today was graduation day, and I had to give a speech. I was valedictorian, which was amazing, but I'm not good at giving speeches.

I spent a couple weeks writing the speech, and making Jason hear it repeatedly.

The dress I picked out for graduation was stunning. It had a white top, with a mint green bottom. The bottom part flowed, while the top was flowery. It looked gorgeous to say the least.

As I stepped on the stage to give my speech, I felt somewhat prepared.

"Hello everyone. My name is Elizabeth White, and I am this year's valedictorian.

I could go back and reminisce about the last four years. Instead I think it's more important to focus on where we will be in the next four years. Whether it's baking great bread, cooking up laws in the senate, teaching futures generations, or creating new music, all of us must make sure the word success is associated with what we do.

We must concentrate on enhancing our futures and setting great examples for those who love us and for those who will follow us. We must be tomorrow's positive images. Our actions must make a statement and send a clear message. One that says, wherever we come from, whatever we have, or don't have, whatever our color, sex or cultural background, we can be partners in success and we can achieve greatness together,

In order to have high self esteem, confidence, and motivation we must be willing to work diligently and have a keen understanding of how far we can go. Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Let us leave a trail others will be proud to follow.

If you feel at any point, that life is becoming too hard and that obstacles are coming from left and right. Please don't panic. Remember that life can get better, if we have the right tools to work with. Tools like a positive attitude, an education, the right friends and fierce determination.

Class of 2015, It is up to all of you to make a difference, to have people say honorable things about you and leave the impression that you never gave up on yourselves. Society is counting on you. Excellence is never an accident- it's the result of hard work. Go forward, work hard, and attain excellence; the kind of excellence that will make your dreams reality. A secure future can be reality you must visualize tomorrow - a safe, happy, prosperous tomorrow and make it happen.

We extend our heartfelt gratitude to all the teachers and administrators who worked so hard to make us reach this commencement ceremony. To my heroes thank you for not letting me into a great black hole.

Class of 2015, good luck and remember graduation is only the beginning." I finished.

Everyone cheered, clapped, and whistled.

We all then proceeded to get our diplomas, and shake hands with our principal.

Afterwords, I found Jason.

We were having a party at his house for the grade. It was going to be pretty fun, and I couldnt wait.

And a week after today, we would be living in our apartment in Maryland.