Chapter Seven: Errands and Encounters

Chapter Seven

I took a napkin and wiped my mouth after I had finished eating the breakfast my mother had cooked us all. "That was really good, Mom. Definitely one of your best meals ever," I said.

"She's right, Rachel. You're a hell of a good cook, babe," Ronald added, spooning another forkful of scrambled eggs into his mouth.

"Why, I'm happy you both enjoyed my cooking," Mom said, beaming.

Afterwards, I helped her do the dishes and clean up the place. Ronald headed off to work in his vehicle not long after. Mom headed back upstairs to get dressed, and I sat back down in the couch by myself. Ronald had taken Susie along with him. He was dropping her off at her day care.

I decided to beat time by looking at some of my favorite shows on television.

The clacking sound of heels coming down the stairs made me jump a little. I glanced up. It was my mother. She came down, dressed to impress in a pair of skinny jeans and a baby doll shirt. My mom really was beautiful, I thought. Even more than Meredith Bloomberg. It was a real pity my dad couldn't see that.

"Well, what do you think, dear?" asked Mom.

I was speechless. "Mom, you look absolutely stunning,"

"Thank you, dear," Mom said, giving me a kiss on my cheek.

She took a seat in the couch near me and took both of my hands in hers. "Life here is so much better than it was back in New Jersey? Don't you think?"

It was. "Yes," I agreed.

It really was true. My mom seemed happier and more pleasant than I had seen her in a very long time. I wanted things to stay this way, and if it meant having Ronald Hudson in the picture, I didn't mind. Having my mother back counted a whole lot.

"So what are our plans for today?" I asked casually.

"Hmmm, I was thinking we could probably do some touring around, see the sights in this great big city a bit," Mom said with a grin.

I broke out into a big smile, too. "Mom, that's great! I thought you and I were going to be cooped up in here all day with nothing fun to do until Ronald returned from work,"

Mom replied,"Not by any means, Anna. You know your mother! No way was I going to be cramped up in here like a loner when there is a whole city to explore inside and out,"

"I like the way you think, Mom." I replied.

Mom winked.

After making the necessary preparations and so on, Mom and I exited Ronald's house. I waited patiently as my mom locked up his house and placed the spare key into her purse. Apparently the two were pretty close already. This was a relationship based on trust going on here. How else would Mom have gotten the keys to Ronald's house?

We caught a cab. Mom said our first destination was to some shipping place because she had to pick up our van. I was really happy for that. At least we wouldn't have to be using Ronald as our chauffeur everywhere we went.

The cab drove along mighty fine, at the perfect speed for me to be able to feast my eyes on the amazing sights before me.

We soon arrived at the shipping company. It was a large building. Nearby I could spot our van. Mom nodded when I pointed this out to her. I waited near our van as she looked after the necessary paper work and finally we were able to claim our trusty old vehicle once more.

Seated on the plush seats I had grown so accustomed to over the years, I asked my mother,"Mom, can we do some shopping now?"

"Relax, Annabella," Mom said, "We'll do that in a while. Don't be so fussy. We just have to check out our apartment building first."

"Okay," I agreed reluctantly.

Mom drove on.

She soon pulled up against the driveway of a large building I only assumed was an apartment building. We got out of the vehicle and headed through the doors of the building. Inside was cool and air conditioned. I sat in the lobby area, flipping through past editions of Seventeen magazines while my mom talked to the clerk at the counter.

Mom clicked her fingers at me. I glanced up at her.

"Come on Annabella, we're heading upstairs to check out our new apartment," Mom said quite eagerly to me.

"This ought to be good," I said, sighing as I rose up from my seat and obligingly followed her into the elevator. Some men accompanied us on the way because they were the ones Mom had hired to fix up the furniture as well as other appliances for us.

We strolled along the hallway and paused at a door numbered "567". Mom stuck a key into the door and opened it. We along with the men piled into the apartment. I surveyed the place. It was wide and spacious. Not bad at all for two persons living inside here only.

Mom pointed out to me where the kitchen area, the living room and the bedrooms would be. I nodded and paid keen attention to her words.

The men Mom had hired then came in fetching large boxes with our furniture we had shipped down to here from New Jersey. Mom found it very economical to reuse our furniture instead of purchasing new ones. They were in tip top shape and she said that it would have been a total waste of money to go ahead and buy new ones.

I agreed with her on that one. After all, we weren't as rich as Ronald was.

After guiding the men through setting up the furniture etc, Mom and I headed back into the elevator and were sent downstairs by it.

We prepared to exit the building after making additional arrangements, but fate had me so lucky to crash straight into someone. A certain someone with flaming red hair and a temper to match.

Sarah Dobrev.

She frowned at me. "Uh, can you like watch where you're going? Or are you blind?"

I glared at Sarah. "I am not blind! And can you quit acting like a temperamental mutt? It was an accident!"

Sarah stepped closer to me. "What did you just call me?" She demanded.

Mom turned around to see what the commotion was all about.

Sarah immediately flashed her a bright smile, which Mom returned.

She glanced at us oddly. "Is something going one here, girls?"

"No, Mrs. Winters. Annabella and I here were just having a friendly chat," Sarah said sweetly.

Mom nodded and turned her attention to her cell phone.

I in turn feigned a smile. "Oh, you actually know my name! I'm touched,"

Sarah said huffily," You are such a bitch,"

"Takes one to know one," I retorted.

"This isn't the last you'll be seeing of me. Now run along before I get really mad," Sarah threatened.

I rolled my eyes. She was so pathetic.

If it was a war that stupid girl wanted, let her bring it on.

I didn't take judo lessons when I was seven for nothing.