Chapter Five. Discovered

Chapter Five

Taking another drink of his brandy her words just kept repeating. What did she mean leave you again? Roderick’s thoughts where only on her words. For hours he's been Racking his brain he could come up with nothing. In the morning he would speak to her again. Find out what went wrong what she meant. Why she refused. She refused? He'd never asked a woman to be his? He's never wanted a woman this badly. What was it about her that made him feel whole?

Roderick woke to curtains being pulled back & the sun blazing in. 'what the- ah Jonathan what are you doing.'

'Roderick it’s an hour past noon. We have a meeting.'

Everything from the previous day came back to Roderick. 'Alright let's get this meeting over with I have other things to do.'

'Get dressed I'll meet you in the study. You should bath too; the smell of brandy is all over you.'

Roderick met Jonathan in the study. When Jonathan looked up to see his face it was a look of concern.

'Roderick I have a propazition for you.'

Rubbing his face like he's not fully awake. '& what's that?'

'I think it’s time you joined me in the business.'

'I have a job Jonathan I'm a doctor.'

'Well I've decided you can do both, to be quite honest I need your help.'

'Need my help?'

'Yes. I have two daughters & hoping for this one to be a boy. My wife & children I barely see, I need your help running the business. You'd be making more money.'

'I'm quite well off as I am now.'

'Yes, but you'd be making more for when you finally get a wife & children, trust me when I say you'll need it.'

'I’ll help you. What is it that you need?'

'I want to expand the apartments.'

'I don't understand? That would coast both time & money'

'Yes & that is why I need you, sure you'll be losing money at first but the money will grow double when it’s done.'

Roderick took in a deep breath and, ran his fingers through his hair breathing out he continued. 'I'm only doing this to help you.'

'Thank you Roderick,’ patting his brother on the shoulder. ‘Now tell me what's been bothering you?'

Roderick was surprised that his brother knew something was bothering him, but then again Jonathan always knew when Roderick was having troubled thoughts. Who knows maybe Jonathan would know how to handle the mysterious woman and his need to be around her, and kiss her.  'The woman from town, they one staying with Edwin DeBrook.'

'Anne was it?'

'No the other. Do you know her?'

'I don't remember. What is her name?'

'She won't tell me.'

'What's bothering you is you don't know her name? Why not ask Edwin?'

'I- I didn't even think of that. I shall head over after we eat.'

Roderick & Jonathan both walked down to the kitchen finding Frey ready with a warm cooked meal.

'Good morning sirs.'

'Good morning Frey, why is it you did not wake me?'

'I tried many a times, figured you drank yourself ill.'

'Quite.'

'Tis' good seeing miss Lillian wasn't it sir'?'

Choking on his eggs’ he swallowed. 'Pardon?'

'Miss Lillian sir? Yesterday.'

Jonathan cut in. 'Lillian's alive?'

'Yes sir, Lillian came up yesterday to see-' whatever Frey was saying was lost when Roderick got up & started to run over to the DeBrook's.

When he arrived he wasn't even in a sweat. Thank goodness he was in great shape. He knocked on the door Nova answered, letting him in. 'Lillian where is she?'

A deep voice cut in, shutting Nova down. 'She's gone.' Roderick turned around to see Edwin standing there.

'What do you mean gone? Why didn't you tell me she was here? You had me believe she was dead.'

'I never told you she was dead, she made me promise to never talk to you about her.'

'Why? Where is she?'

'She went back to home yesterday after saying goodbye to you.'

'Why didn't she tell me who she was?'

'How did you not know?'

'I thought your sister to be dead. Gave up the idea of marriage because of it.'

'She won't marry.'

'She'll marry me.'

'You would have to ask her first. Not just take her in my kitchen.'

'I didn't know who she was, I would never do that to Lillian, and you know that. I have to find her. Tell me where she is.'

'She lives with my aunt & uncle with my cousin Anne.'

'Send word that I'm on my way.'

~*~*~

OH I WONDER WHAT RODERICKS GOING TO DO NOW THAT HE KNOWS WHO SHE IS? WHAT DO YOU THINK?