Chapter 9 : Secrets and Snitches

C'mon Ronald. Come on!" Hermione said cursing to the wind waiting for Ron's letter. Her mind kept going back to that morning when she found the letter from Jolie buried beneath a pile of beloved's t-shirts. It wasn't sadness that coursed through her veins but anger. She was hurt and that was one feeling she didn't expect to feel, not from Viktor anyways. She hurried back to the glass door that led out to the balcony of her guest room, which had previously been left vacant. She swore she heard the tapping of an owl on the glass. As she exited the room and entered into the cool Bulgarian night she knew she was mistaken. Weather like this was rare in England it was either blistering cold or drowning rain. Bulgaria had a warm feel to it, or at least the grounds of Krum Mansion had a warm feel to it. Never once did she feel out of place here. Much like the Weasley home she was always welcomed. "Ronald where are you?" She asked herself looking down at her half-eaten nails. She was never the nervous type but she needed someone to talk to.

Hermione stood out on the balcony for the next two hours hoping that Boris would come swooping in with Ron's reply. One never came. It was just about time for dinner, Viktor would have been back from Quidditch practice by now. There was no way Hermione could face him, not after what she found. But there was also no way she could avoid him, in his very own home nonetheless. "However -" As she spoke out loud pondering ways to avoid Viktor she was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Darling, it's Sofia. Can I come in?" Viktor's mother asked from behind the door.

Hermione hesitated but simply replied with, "Of course." She sighed as she heard the door handle turn and moved towards her wardrobe hoping Sofia wouldn't ask questions as to why she wasn't dressed for dinner yet.

"Why aren't you dressed yet Hermione?" Obviously, her hoping did nothing.

"Erm.." She stammered. "I-I'm not feeling quite well actually. Bit of a bug I suppose." She avoided eye contact because she hated lying to adults, especially those who treat her so well. She could tell that Sophia was not buying her story but she was grateful when all Sophia did was tell her to feel better and that the house elves will bring her up some hearty soup and a vial of Valetudo. She thanked the older witch and watched as she swayed out of the room. Hermione thre herself and her bed and let out a great sigh of relief. She hated lying, but there was no way she could face Viktor, not so soon anyways.

The next hour passed smoothly. Dre'air the house elf brought her up a Bulgarian herbal soup and the vial of Valetudo. He instructed her to only take half the vial after she was done with the soup. She couldn't take the Valetudo considering she wasn't really ill but knew that it would come in handy one day so she scrambled to her bag and put a cork at the top of the vial and snuggly placed it into her bedside table. She returned to bed turned to 'Hogwarts: A History' and began reading before falling asleep.

When she awoke the next morning the book was neatly placed on her bedside table and the covers placed over her. 'Those house elves' she thought to herself 'always working'. She stretched herself out in her normal daily routine and looked over at the clock which read 7:15 in large yellow numbers. She knew Viktor would be getting ready for Quidditch practice by now considering that tomorrow night he would be playing the Chuddley Cannons in the first match of the season. Hermione was supposed to attend the game and sit in the family box but seeing as her and the Seeker were not exactly on speaking terms she immediately counted herself out of that equation. Nonetheless, she rose out of bed and walked over to her wardrobe picking out a pair of under garments, one of Fred's old quidditch shirts, which she gladly took considering the reason why she was freezing was him and George. A pair of dark wash jeans and warn-in boots completed the outfit.

After washing up in her private bathroom Hermione walked over to the glass door that led to the balcony and much to her surprise seeing Boris with a letter tied to his feet. Without any hesitation she flung open the door and Boris flew in.