Chapter 7

Sebastian’s p.o.v.

As I walked out of the parking lot and back into the street I made my way back to the tunnel stopped when I was about 10 feet away and looked inside to see if I could confirm my suspicion.

I couldn’t see the inside, but I knew that something in there that was waiting in the dark and foreboding shadows. A shiver ran up my spine and it wasn’t from my pants. I turned and started walking away, but the feeling of something watching me never left until I was up the ramp again and walking north, which led to the highway. But not before I peeked over the other side of the bridge to get a good look at what I was gonna have to deal with.

Even though all of this death, destruction and the apparently new creatures that now share the same earth with me (one just tried to kill me) I was not surprised with that I saw. The entire street was one big car wreck, same thing went for the long parking lot where there were a long row of stores, guess some people were just trying to get around. The reason they couldn’t get around was that it was a four way intersection, which meant there was no getting around it unless you were on foot.

I looked down and to my surprise there huge 18-wheeler sticking out with a good partial showing of its cab. But that left me confused as hell.

I turned around and walked to the other end of the bridge, looked down and saw absolutely nothing sticking out of the other end.

Come to think of it, I couldn’t see anything inside except total darkness. These relocations were starting to creep me out. Looking to my left and right I saw nothing but a stretch of abandoned cars and splattered blood on both ends, in other words the long way around to get to the other side or possibly ambushed and ripped apart. But then I went back to other end of the bridge and saw the immobile 18-wheeler.

Now I wasn’t good at math but I calculated that it was about a 10 to 12 ft. drop to the roof of the cargo hold from my current position. I took a huge deep breath and started climbing over the railing one leg at a time, as I finally managed to get my left leg over the barricade and onto the metal railing; my right foot slipped and slammed my stomach into the concrete.

“OAAH pa fwy!” I said as I tried to hold on for dear life.

I tried to pull myself up, but unfortunately I couldn’t due to the fact that I wasn’t athletic at all, this was rather difficult and awkward….

I looked back down and I slowly let my fingers get loose and I let go.

My legs hit the ground and crumpled up fast, my ass hit the ground next, then my back and pretty soon I had I had a sore lower backside and a sore back. I got back up and rubbed everything that hurt. I then looked out at what was ahead of me.

Cars, cars as far as the eye could see, piled up in some places but mostly just immobile steel bodies. I put my hands on my hips and looked down, knowing that the day just got a little more difficult. I took a deep breath, shook my head and started negotiating myself to the edge of the cargo hold.

F*ck hardships I need pants!