Chapter Five

Ryan came back to her dorm room, her new home. She was beginning to get used to it and to the kids that she had for roommates.

They were becoming a small family. She hadn't intended on becoming close with anyone. She normally hung out with the people that she was investigating and got involved with their personal lives.

But she wasn't investigating Larry, Joe or Rob. They were as clean as a whistle. And they were her friends.

Especially Rob. They were like two peas in a pod. It seemed like they could read each other's minds. They would automatically hand each other something without the other asking.

They would complete the other's sentence, when they couldn't think of the words. They were comfortable with each other's silence. And sometimes, there was no need for words. They enjoyed each other's presence.

The roommates were sprawled out on the couch playing a video game.

"Hey," Ryan said, stepping over the wires as she crossed the room.

"Hey," they answered, not looking up from their game.

"You got something. It's on your desk," Rob informed her, as he shot some enemy soldier on the big screen, and Larry and Joe both let out a holler of approval.

"Okay, thanks," Ryan replied with a shrug and went to their room, wondering what it was that had arrived for her.

She opened the door to their bedroom, and a pile of confetti hit her on the head. Inside their bedroom was decorated with balloons and streamers. She laughed.

"You guys!" Ryan exclaimed, brushing off the confetti from her hair.

"Happy Birthday!" they yelled, coming over and giving her a hug.

"How'd you guys know?! I never told you," Ryan laughed.

"Ah, something did come for you. It sort of gave it away," Rob said, gesturing to the desk.

Ryan saw a vase of red roses and frowned. She went over to it. A white envelope sat in front that read Happy Birthday!

She opened the card curious as to who would have sent her flowers. It read: Make it great. Wish we were there to celebrate with you. All Our Love, The Boys. She wiped at her eyes, brushing away some escaped moisture, and quickly slipped the card into her desk drawer.

"Who are they from?" Joe asked her curiously.

Ryan shrugged, "Just some old friends. You don't know them."

Rob was going to press for more, but she gave him a look to drop it. He nodded understanding. Ryan would tell him when she was ready.

****

They gorged themselves on a huge dinner at their favorite local restaurant, paid by the guys.

Ryan had a great time with them, but "The Boys" were on her mind. Doug, Gus, Kyle, and Lawson. Her squad. Her boys. The greatest friends she ever had. They were like her brothers. Closer even. She loved her blood brother, Kevin, but "The Boys" understood things that Kevin never could. He never saw action. He worked in a lab. Until you had someone take a bullet for you, willing to die for you no matter what, you couldn't understand.

Oh sure, Kevin loved her, but he didn't get her deep down to her core like "The Boys" did. She looked at Rob. He was now in that category. But he was different than "The Boys".

"The Boys" she sweated for, cried for, and even bled for. And they had done the same for her. They pulled each other up when the other was down. And they pushed the other down when they needed that as well. Always there for each other in life and in death, they had vowed.