Chapter Thirty Three

A/N: We're very close to an ending, guys. Consider this your warning. :)
I know, I know. I want to cry too. Stay strong. (;

Xoxoxoxoxo
- Railene

***

"Nice place," I commented, opening the door to Carrie's office. 

She looked up from what she was writing and made a face. "Prime real estate on the fifth floor of the DA's office."

I shrugged. "At least it's clean."

"Not clean enough."

"Are you going to take the damn compliment?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was that a compliment?"

"I mean...I guess so."

"Well then," she whispered apathetically, not really meaning it. "Thank you."

I sat down across from her at her well-organized desk. I noticed that her different folders were color coded, but not by real colors - by different shades of neutrals. It was so her I would have laughed at it, had I not been in such a bad mood.

She continued to write something down before clicking her pen shut and looking back up at me. "Tough morning?"

"You don't know the half of it," I sighed.

She cocked her head, trying to fake some feelings of sympathy. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," I said quickly and decidedly, making a tight O with my mouth.

"Great," she exhaled, having received the answer she was hoping for. "So, your testimony."

"I haven't written my statement yet."

"I figured."

"I will," I promised.

She inhaled, then pressed her lips together, as if trying to fight back what she actually wanted to say. "Take your time," she decided on.

I just smiled a little bit. "I know you want to tear my head off for being unprepared."

"I do," she agreed. "This is me being nice and not neurotic."

"But you're mean and very neurotic. Don't fake it for my sake."

"Really?"

"Go ahead."

She took a deep breath before letting the flood gates break and unleashing all the neurosis she'd bottled up just for me. "We go to trial in a matter of days," she spat, the real Carrie Everett coming back out. "You're the arresting officer and my star witness. And come this direct exam, you work for me. Which means I can't have you screwing up because you were unprepared."

I just smiled. "Anything else, Counselor?"

"Yes. Have you even considered a trial strategy?"

I shrugged. "I don't think I need a strategy to tell the truth."

"You always need a strategy. Do you know how the law works?"

"I like to think so," I said honestly. "But go ahead and tell me what you're thinking."

She inhaled, searching for a place to begin. "Collin Shaw's attorney is one I've never been up against before. Do you know why that is?"

Here we go again with the school teacher routine. I shook my head. "Nope."

"Because Collin Shaw makes more money in a year than everyone else I've ever prosecuted combined. His lawyer is top knotch, and she's pulling a not guilty plea on a case with so much evidence that in any other circumstance, I'd have that jury convinced in five minutes. But I don't know what she has up her sleeve. And it's my job to try and guess. To get inside the defense's mind and think up their case before they do."