Chapter Twenty Eight

"You know, you guys should really give me my own desk here," I muttered, trying to fill out the paper work on Collin Shaw's arrest. I was anticipating a call from my own jurisdiction any time within the next eight hours, telling me to come home and return my badge. I'd probably be in deep shit for not coming clean about the shooting, but I'd resolved to put that all aside for the sake of the matter at hand.

"Not until I get mine," Bagley replied, his nose deep in a stack of papers as well.

"Where's Beckett?" Oliver asked.

"She got stolen at the ICU," I explained, relaying her phone call. "They recognized her when they brought Lucy in, and asked what she was doing out of bed."

This made them all laugh slightly, but at the mention of Lucy, everyone seemed to tense.

"Still no word?" Griffin asked.

"Allison said she'd call first thing, either way."

"You mean..."

"If she wakes up, or..." my voice trailed off. I couldn't bring myself to say it. "Not."

"Kim, why don't you take the day? We can handle your paper work."

"Technically, I'm Shaw's arresting officer. I have to write the statement."

"Write it from home."

"What home? My own apartment miles from here, or Collin Shaw's house? Each seems inappropriate in its own respect."

"Well, you know--"

"Hold on," I interrupted as my phone started ringing. I didn't check the caller ID; I was too anxious.

"Hayden."

"Hey," Allison's voice said lazily, her voice sounding ragged and tired. I imagined she'd slept less than I had - and I'd struggled to get upwards of three hours. 

"What's the deal?"

"Victim's lucid," she said as though this were any old investigation. I exhaled profoundly, and tears threatened my eyes, but I of course wouldn't let them fall.

"Thank God," I whispered.

"I know it's protocol for you to come down here and get her statement," Allison continued, "But I don't  know if you want to."

"Of course I want to."

"Kim, I'm not sure you want to see her like this. I saw you last night. It'll just make you angry."

Immediately the rage I'd been feeling before registered like brand new in my head. I couldn't begin to imagine the horrible things they'd done to her; but I was going to find out.

"Did they run a rape kit?" I asked grudgingly.

Allison exhaled. "Yeah."

"And?"

"Positive."

"Those fucks."

"I know," she whispered, remaining level headed. "I know."

"Details?"

"I can't give them here," she said, and I knew she was right. "It's confidential. I have to tell you in person."

"I'll be there in ten," I decided. 

"Are you sure?"

"I have to be," I stated. "There's no other choice."

***

"Excuse me, you can't be in here," some doctor began to chastise as soon as I busted the door open to Lucy's room.