Chapter Seven

"Hayden," Mr. Shaw said later that night, after the plates had been cleared and everyone was dancing poorly and gallivanting in general. He gesured for me to come to him, and I did.

"Hi," I said, not really knowing what else to say.

"I feel bad about not being able to spend any time with you today. You or, um..."

"Alexandra," I completed. "And, don't worry about it. You're busy."

"Well, I'd like to congratulate you on a job well done. The event was a success, and my friends only had nice things to say about the new help."

I couldn't help feeling a strange sense of pride, even though this was all so vapid and inane. It wasn't the same kind of pride I derived from work on a case, making a bust or winning a trial, but it was nice.

"That's good to hear," was all I could say. 

"Come with me," he said. "I want to introduce you to my wife."

Wife? I hadn't even been told he was married.

He led me with a hand on my back across the ballroom, to a group of young socialite women chattering in a corner. I could only speculate about which one could be the anonymous Mrs. Shaw, but I knew which one I didn't want it to be. They were all good looking, but one was breathtakingly beautiful. I didn't know what to say, but all I was thinking was "Please don't be married."

"Anneliese," Mr. Shaw said. "A moment?"

I was waiting for her to come out of the crowd, and then I would know who she was.

I looked back at Mr. Shaw as his wife made herself known, and considered what it must be like to have his life. Making millions doing nothing, having girls around at all times who live only to serve you and hit on your friends, and being married to the prettiest woman in the state. Yup, it was her. Some people have all the luck.

Mrs. Shaw, whoever the hell she was, looked like she could have been the boss's hot daughter, or maybe the boss's daughter's hot friend. She couldn't have been more than thirty; I was definitely her elder, which was weird in more ways than one. I hadn't even met her, but already I felt as though circumstance had set her as my superior, and I didn't want to be in that position. I would have felt great talking to her as Detective Kim Hayden, but as her housekeeper, I almost didn't even want to try. I felt somewhat defeated. But that didn't stop me from making a complete ass out of myself.

"Ana, this is Hayden, she just joined the staff. Hayden, this is my wife, Anneliese."

"Wow," I let slide, then immediately wanted to smack myself. "Hi," I tried again, sounding way too enthusiastic.

She smiled and put out a slender, feminine hand. "It's wonderful to meet you," she said, keeping up with her socialite status. But then, being a natural woman, commented, "I love your dress."

I felt my face light up a thousand shades of crimson, developing a stupid schoolgirl crush. "Really?" I asked. No, Kim, she's lying. "Thank you."

"Collin tells me you're from New Haven. My family used to have a home nearby. I actually graduated from Yale, ages ago."

Hey, graduated ages ago. Just like you, Kim. Maybe you're not so old after all.

"Wow," I said again. What the fuck is with the "Wow"? "Ivy League, that's really impressive."

She dismissed my comment with a humble hand wave. "Nah," she said. "In my family, Yale was me slacking."

I laughed even though it wasn't that funny. "I doubt that."

"Hey, I have some people I have to say hello to before the night ends, or they'll kill me. It was so great meeting you, though. We have to chat more when all this chaos is through."