Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven (Xed)

I was mildly disappointed that Newell decided not to come with me, but I could tell he wished for privacy. I assumed he was going to get drunk, which had only happened on a couple other occasions. Once while we were in France fleeing Giorgos as he drew nearer, and the other time when we had stumbled into Timbuktu, which had been a sore mistake on Newell's part.

At the same time, I was aggravated and also wanted my privacy to vent as I swam laps in the large, vacant pool that the hotel provided. I was relieved to be able to swim and not have to worry about having legs and whether or not I would fall or stumble.

But it still didn't particularly ease my anger.

I had told Newell this plan was a mistake. We could find our own way out; we always did, one way or another. Yet, he wanted to try and take the easy way out and it had turned into this gigantic mess. He had almost gotten himself killed, or sold. I could not be sure which was worse.

And even worse was the fact that now everyone would be after us, not just Zephyra or the oni. What if we ran into this Hunter person? While the fact that he was human was hardly a threat to me, he was talked about for a reason, so surely he wasn't a push over. What if he got to Newell when I wasn't around?

I suddenly didn't like leaving Newell alone in the room, and while my body protested the leave from my natural environment, I didn't care. I pulled myself out of the pool and onto the cold tiles, hissing past clenched teeth as my scales sucked themselves back into my legs, retracting like claws almost. I managed to get up, stumbling for a moment before catching my balance and making my way out as I grabbed my towel on the way to the door. I wrapped it around my waist, running a hand through my hair to keep it back from my face as I made it down the relatively warm hallway.

I used the card key that Newell had given me to come into the room, closing the door and doing all three of the locks to keep intruders out. I turned to head to my bed, only to pull up short.

Newell was lying sprawled on his bed, head resting amongst soft white fluffy pillows. One of his knees was drawn up, causing his night gown to slide down, allowing a peek at his pale blue briefs. His eyes were closed and his hand lying out a few inches from a half empty bottle of blood wine.

I frowned at that. It was far more dangerous for him to drink it than any other species, considering how small he was and how potent the alcohol was. And while alcohol tended to make some people silly and stupid, it only made Newell incredibly depressed and seeing him spill his pain and hatred more than usual was painful.

I walked over to the bed side, tugging the blanket out from underneath of him, pausing when he moaned under his breath, but eyes remaining closed. His cheeks were flushed from the excessive drinking and he looked a bit sweaty as if he had been rolling around a lot, hair disheveled and a stark contrast to the white pillows. A chill went through me that I couldn't explain.

I started to pull the blanket over Newell when his eyes slid open, as if his eyelids were heavy. He tilted his head a little, trying to focus on my face.

"Mmm, Xed?" He asked for confirmation. I nodded. He stared at me for a moment longer, then sighed shortly as he slumped back against the pillows and blankets.

"I thought you were swimming." He told me, and while he could speak, it was lightly slurred and much slower. He was trying to make it look like he was sober, but he couldn't fool me, especially with how much his breath reeked of alcohol.

I started to pull the blankets up on him again, but he kicked them back and rolled onto his side, tucking his arms against himself. I cocked my head, frowning at him before letting the expression vanish into stoicism when he opened his eyes again to stare at me. He narrowed his eyes, studying me before he slowly sat up, his hair far messier on the right side where he was sleeping on it. He reached out, his hand small and fingers hovering inches from my cheek.