Chapter Two

Chapter Two (Newell)

I woke up to the warmth and comfort of a bed.

I had almost expected to wake up on a cold concrete floor or a cardboard box. I forced my eyes to open, peering over the blankets at the window where rays of sunlight cast across the hotel room. The sounds of the city outside mingling with the sound of the shower in the bathroom, indicating Xed was already up and ready for another long day.

I sighed, furrowing my brow in frustration as I pulled the blankets closer to myself. I didn't want to get up; I really did not. I wanted to lay in this bed for just a while longer, but there was no luxery in this kind of life. Staying in one place for too long could result in serious consequences that I really had no time to deal with right now.

I slowly sat up, keeping the blankets up to my waist as I rubbed at my eyes before yawning. I licked my lips, mouth once again dry from lack of a feeding. I should have drank from the oni last night, but Xed hadn't eaten in days and part of me wondered if he got hungry enough, would he eat me? I didn't want to take the chance. I had to feed him regularly.

Xed's species usually went into a frenzy when they were starving.

My species usually curled up and waited to die. Blood is what kept us going, our fuel to continue living and moving. Without it, we were probably weaker than humans. The thought made me curl my lip in repungence until I noticed a set of clothes at the end of the bed. I blinked, surprised as I looked up to make sure Xed wasn't coming out before I reached for the clothes.

A long sleeved black shirt, a pair of soft sweatpants and jeans, socks, sneakers, and even a jacket along with a small backpack. I raised an eyebrow.

Xed had gone out on his own to purchase these? I hadn't even heard him get up, but then, I had trouble waking up when I really tired. I was relieved to have new clothes, though. I was tired of traveling in the same outfit for months. And with the sweatpants, I would no longer need to sleep naked. Not that that bothered me; it was just the fact that I was sleeping naked beside another man that irked me.

Part of me trusted Xed, of course. He was doing so much for me. However, another part of me did not want to get too close to him. The fact that I was naked and he was naked, but also because I loathed feeling his body. It was a body I constantly dreamt of having, but couldn't. Xed was the one who had the perfect body.

Anger made my chest tight as I clenched the blankets in my fists, taking deep breathes to calm down. Even I had to admit that my temper tended to get out of control, but it was only because everyone else kept pushing it and Xed was unintentionally making me angry.

The bathroom door opened and I looked up as Xed came out, a towel around his shoulders. He wore a black v-neck shirt and black jeans, his boots thumping on the floor as he approached the bed. He looked at me for a moment in a way that made me wonder if he knew what I was thinking before he pointed to the clothes. I nodded, but waited until I sat on his side of the bed with his back turned before I dared to get out of the bed and rinse off the stink from the sheets before I changed into the shirt and jeans. I pulled on the socks and sneakers before stuffing everything else into the small back pack that I threw over my shoulder.

"We should get moving. That rat last night was the only thing I'd eaten in two days." I told him, making him nod and stand up. He folded up the towel and returned it to the bathroom, and even took the time to make the beds for the maids before we left the room quickly, passing by the lobby. I frowned, however, when I noticed the old woman wasn't standing behind the desk.

And the rich scent of blood hung heavy in the air.

Xed also stopped and turned to look at me. I glanced back at him to see that he found this suspicious as well. I turned and approached the desk, then slowly walked around it before I spotted a trail of blood leading to the closet behind the desk. I narrowed my eyes and walked toward it, reaching out to open the door, but Xed caught me by the shoulder. I shot him a nasty glare and he let go, then shook his head and pointed to the door.