Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Newell)

While I couldn't see or speak, I could still smell and feel and hear. The instant we left the warehouse, we stepped into a carpeted hallway. It smelled sterile, as if I had just walked into a doctor's office. I could feel the cleanliness in the air, smell it. The carpet was a bit hard under my bare feet and the air was cool, giving me goosebumps.

I could hear the sound of jazz music playing from a room on the other side of the hallway. It was a smooth, Asian jazz sound with the familiar rippling twang of a shamisen, a three stringed Japanese instrument. It made the air suddenly feel enigmatic and calm, but it didn't stop the way my heart was pounding in my chest.

I was led down the hallway by the human holding my neck. I tried to pick up on what kind of scent he had, but it was heavily masked by the reeking odor of sulfur and smoke. I could hear guns clinking on all their waists, and while a bullet couldn't particularly harm me, a dozen bullets might be quite painful.

Suddenly, the group stopped and I felt a little more air stirring around me, signalling that we were in a larger part of the hallway. The men around me were speaking, but again, I could only catch a few words, indicating that they were waiting for someone. I mentally cursed myself for not taking more Japanese classes. It was one of the things I added to my to-do list, right alongside not dying.

"Stand here." A Japanese man ordered, his accent thick. He caught me by the shoulder and the grasp on my neck left as I was pushed against a wall. It was icy cold against my back, but I couldn't complain as I stood there, holding my head up and listening to the murmurs around me.

It was difficult to pick up on what they were saying, but I heard my name mentioned a few times as well as that of Zephyra's and Edward's. They were probably discussing my history and how to inform their buyers that I was good quality. The thought made my stomach churn. Why were they discussing it anyway? Surely they planned to sell me to Zephyra only as they had placed quite a hefty bounty on my head. Who else could possibly place a higher bid than that?

"Rodrick," Ryuu's voice said so suddenly that I cocked my head sharply to listen to him speak, "It is a pleasure to have you here. You've arrived early. The members of Zephyra have yet to be here." I frowned instantly at the unfamiliar name, followed by his unfamiliar voice.

"Ryuu, it's good to see you again." The man named Rodrick greeted. His voice was deep and indicated that he was probably heavy set judging from the way he breathed deeply. I frowned. What's going on? Who is this person? I listened to Rodrick and Ryuu speak back and forth, both of them speaking fluent Japanese before there was a long pause and I felt eyes watching me intensely. It sent a chill up my spine. A shadow passed in front of my blindfold and I could sense someone standing in front of me, someone much taller.

"So this is the infamous Newell C. Drakon," Rodrick's voice purred, making my skin crawl, "Honestly, I'd hold absolutely no interest in you whatsoever if you didn't meet my... specific standards." I growled low in my throat. I knew what exactly he meant by specific standards. This man was a sick pervert is what he was. And unfortunately, a sick pervert with plenty of money if he was matching Zephyra's bid.

"May I?" Rodrick asked, probably to Ryuu. Apparently he was given permission because I felt a pair of cold, chubby hands touching my cheeks. Rage flickered inside me, making my chest tight and blood boil hotly, but I fought for control to remain absolutely still. I didn't have time to waste on my pride with these ingrates. They were pigs, every last one of them, disgusting, revolting pigs.

"His skin is so smooth," Rodrick's voice murmured in awe as if he couldn't believe it, then ran his hands down over my shoulders to my arms that were still shackled out in front of me, "Not a single scar or cut or birthmark, not even a mole... And you said he was a... A what? A vampire?"