Chapter 14

"So the man who founded the Blue Stone academy left a note for his nephew, Jame's brother?" i ask in astonishment. "Yeah, what even is this about? Some kind of power or whatever?" He asks. "I read it last night, apparently there are so many different kinds. They're genetic mutations, simple changes in the DNA sequence and it can cause major abilities. It's like one and a thousand, which means there may be many people with these abilities in the world, but it's hard to find. Most are dormant." I say. We had snuck out and were walking around the mall. My parents were still preoccupied with everything else that was happening. 

I sipped the coffee Wendall has bought for me and sat down. "Do you think this could be real?" He asks. Those words made something snap inside my mind. "I'm not sure if anything is real anymore," I swallowed, "I'm not sure if this is a dream or not." Wendall looked at me with sympathetic eyes. "I'm sorry this is happening." I shrug, I know that there's not much you can say, but that didn't help much. "I did some different research also." Wendall started to say when it was silent for a moment. "Like what?" I was glad to be off the subject of myself even though I brought it up. 

"I know where Jame's uncle lived, and where his brother now lives. We could go now if you'd like." I shrugged, it's not like i had a curfew or anything. At this point, i was pretty sure this wasn't a dream. it hadn't turned into a nightmare and usually i was able to tell this far in. We walked out of the mall and down one of the busiest streets. It was silent as we walked and my mind started to wonder. What if i stepped out in to the street right now? Would anything really change? Would Wes suddenly wake up, would Lacey suddenly heal, would they find James and put this whole thing to rest? 

"Callie!" I hear my name shouted, and i'm jerked back suddenly. i lose my balance as i'm thrown back, and I crash into a wall of the building that lines the sidewalk. "what?" i say and look at up Wendall. "You almost," he paused, "you almost stepped into traffic." He finished. I look up at him. "What?" "you almost stepped in front of a car, you looked like you were... never mind. I think that doctor was right, you should go home and get some sleep. Focus on something else." 

I woke up in bed. My bed this time, and i knew it wasn't a dream. "She just, stepped out?" I heard my mom ask from beside my bed. "Yeah, i'm not sure why. She looked like she was sleep walking almost." Wendall says. I see the doctor standing in the corner of the room. This is my doctor, something must have gone wrong for him to be in my room at home. "Hello Callie, can you tell me what happened?" He asks and kneels down besides my bed. 

"I don't remember getting here. How did i get here?" I ask, panicked. I realize i really don't know how i got in my bed from the sidewalk over at 85th street. Where i apparently almost killed myself without thinking. Or maybe i was thinking too much. "You don't remember walking to the subway and coming home?" Wendall asks. Home This is no home, i think. My father is no where to be seen, maybe at work. He probably got a job to support all the medical bills for me. I could tell on how my mom stared intently at the doctor, waiting for him to say i was ok. A little more sleep and i'd be fine. I'd remember everything and everything would be ok. 

"Dad got a new job didn't he?" Mom whipped her head towards me. I could tell on how her shoulders dropped from tense so sad, almost giving up. "He's not dad anymore, huh?" I ask. "That's quite enough, i think. I need to perform a few tests on you while you're asleep." I nod. This will just make it easier. My mother starts choking back tears and walks out of the room. Why did you say that? I ask myself. That's not like me at all. 

A few days later, brain scans came back. The days were cloudy and loud. Blurry and i could barely remember anything, it was a blur of pills and sedatives. 

"There's nothing here." The doctor says. "Nothing?" My mother asks. He shakes his head.